Wanted: Novice stalking in Yorkshire

Adiepie

Hi all

In order to satisfy the FEO and allow me to acquire my rifle, would it be possible for anyone in the East Yorkshire area to invite me to accompany them stalking, as an absolute novice (at stalking) 55yr old? I have NSRA RCO certification, plus Club instructor in assorted disciplines, so I'm not a novice with firearms, but this would be to allow me to gain my 6.5 x 55.

I know it's a tall order, but throw myself on the generosity of the members of this esteemed forum

Many thanks in anticipation

Adrian

Isn't this a rather @rse about face way of doing it? If you don't have the land or aren't paying for stalking, what's the justification for the firearm? The norm would be to book some stalking with someone offering it for sale..... And go from there....

Just to explain further:-

I already have c/f (.222) on open ticket, and am strongly left handed, with all my firearms being of the sinistral nature (3 @.22, 1 @ .22 semi, 1 @ .17HMR and 1 @ .222) Now want a L/H Tikka in 6.5 x 55 in order to go stalking, but before it can be authorised, Humberside need to see evidence of invites etc for stalking, hence the request!!

I'm not trying to gain an unfair advantage, nor subvert the firearms legislation, just to extend my capabilities

I need to acclimatise myself to the more powerful calibre before I try and shoot anything living - have significant experience with rabbits etc, but not larger species. I've shot larger calibre (.303 and 7.63 x 54), but want to get used to MY l/h rifle, hence the conundrum

Thanks again

Adrian

Last edited:
Give me a ring if you want to organise a paid outing. I'm based in Driffield and run a deer management and game shoot in the area. Currently looking over about 30 farms or 15,000 acres. Its my living though so no invite just paid stalking.
regards john
01377 255868 (evenings)

By all means get out there with some paid outings, but I fail to see how Humberside police can impose such restrictions on you. You have good reason to obtain a firearm. That is you wish to go stalking, end of. You must be of a good character else how do you posses an open ticket for 222 or any other rifle for that matter? Another example of legal rifle ownership restriction by stealth. I would just tell your feo your not happy with the imposition and there's no requirement to have either paid or invited stalking booked. Every time someone accepts these impositions validates them.

Their argument is that "good reason" involves (initially) a firm booking or invitation, hence my request!!

It's a bit chicken or egg, I want to get used to the rifle before I use it in anger, but have to have a booking to use it before I can acquire it!!

Whoever said firearms legislation is sensible!?

Adrian

you will need to do a couple of paid outings with a further couple of bookings whilst your ticket is ongoing, you will also get to use a 6.5x55 if you go with john, good luck, wayne

book a day stalking for in about 3 months time and get said stalker to give you proof of booking (good reason)

then send in fac to plod tell them i need 270/308/6.5x55 etc etc to go deer stalking with booking form also enclosed (good reason) JOB DONE.

Thanks to all for advice etc, required details going to FEO shortly, as always, there's tremendous support on this forum, particularly for relative newbies.

Thanks all

Adrian

Back