Thread: First test of DL1 bullets ever in 7mm-08 (probably)!

First test of DL1 bullets ever in 7mm-08 (probably)!

Hello everyone.

This morning I finally had a chance to try out my reloads using my DL1 bullets imported from France. As far as I or the seller know, no-one has ever loaded these in 7mm-08, and certainly not in the UK. And below are the results, using N-140 powder. If we discount the horrendous flyer in the top RH corner, essentially there's nothing amazing going in here, although the first load at 38.1gr is a 1" group, and fine for stalking. Certainly there's no improvement in accuracy with a higher charge. As I now know, since the test of my FMJ reloads, that the rifle and I can do better than this (see the two targets side by side for comparison), I think the cartridges are probably mostly to blame. These are no worse than various factory loads I've used, and the 38.1gr one is absolutely fine. And so I'm going to stick with that. I daresay I could improve it by trying different powders, but I feel no inclination to do that for now, I'm done with developing loads for this rifle until I have the urge again. Now I'd like to do some proper shooting with the FMJs and some stalking with the DL1s!

Attachment 48439Attachment 48440

What weight are the projectiles please? And sectional density etc. Thanks

Hello Glenure. They are a 150gr bonded hollowpoint with a thick copper jacket at the back. They are 1mm shorter than the Sierra Match King 150gr HPBTs I loaded for practice. They have a tangent ogive and a king cylindrical tail with a flat base. Twenty inch barrel if that helps.

According to the tables, the muzzle velocity of the 38.1gr load should be something like ~2600fps or 790m/s, so that's plenty enough to kill a deer. We shall see in December, with any luck.

What would cause you to 'discount' that flier?

You might try switching to a slightly slower powder like IMR 4350.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    What would cause you to 'discount' that flier?~Muir
    Just the fact that it's a pulled shot. I knew it was at the time, I don't think it's representative and it sits there telling me that I shouldn't be so stingy and should load bigger test batches.

Glad to hear. Look forward to hearing how they perform on deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Just the fact that it's a pulled shot. I knew it was at the time, I don't think it's representative and it sits there telling me that I shouldn't be so stingy and should load bigger test batches.
    PM, try plonking groups of 5 downrange and get a better representative group... That will give you the chance to get a better "feel" for the load, to really discount a flyer and still leave a group of 4 rather than 2.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    PM, try plonking groups of 5 downrange and get a better representative group... That will give you the chance to get a better "feel" for the load, to really discount a flyer and still leave a group of 4 rather than 2.
    When I have another chance I'll do that with the 38.1gr, 38.6 and 39.1. In the meantime, I'll load a dozen 38.1s for my trip to Malc's in December, as they will be fine. I'm receiving a tonne of advice from France too, both from the same sort of reloading zealots as we have here ("you need increments of 0.1 grains..."), and from Freyr themselves who say that I shouldn't worry too much about the max loads as there were no pressure signs and that a faster round may tighten up again. I feel inclined to ignore that piece of advice as an unnecessary risk.

This has been eating away at me.

That 38.1gr is fine. By the rules that I set myself when I started out on this reloading lark, that should be it. It's accurate enough, it will make deer fall over. But I have doubts as to whether I really couldn't do better. I could do the test again with more rounds in each load. Maybe have another look at the seating depth. Maybe start with the heavier loads because I find the best group is often the first one from a cold barrel. There are all these maybes that all add up to the fact that I'd need to load and shoot a lot more rounds. So I'd have to order more DL1s, and I'd eat through my powder and have to buy more of that too. Before I know it, I would have spent a lot more money on load development than I would have on factory ammunition. I would be reloading for its' own sake. I may end up with a round that's 100fps faster than the 38.1gr one. It would make not one jot of difference to any deer that I shoot at. It's not like the 38.1gr load would bounce off.

There's no reasonable point to pursuing this any further apart from a little devil in my mind nagging me. It just wasn't a conclusive enough test. Damn, damn and blast.