Thread: Parkerizing rifles

Parkerizing rifles

Parkerizing metal seems very durable. Giving a dull grey finish. How good is it ? Useable on a stalking rifle ?

I have two Sako TRG's with parkerised finish. Soak the oil into them and it's great, they don't mark up easily, and I've had no rust, even when they have been soaking wet, to the point they were flowing out when repositioned. I'd happily get my tikka done

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

SD Regular
    Seemed durable enough on my Colt .45...BUT like most things I guess there are good parkerising or phosphating jobs and bad ones. Some US pistols...the rare(ish) Colt Commando were an amazing green hue.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Seemed durable enough on my Colt .45...BUT like most things I guess there are good parkerising or phosphating jobs and bad ones. Some US pistols...the rare(ish) Colt Commando were an amazing green hue.
    Yes, there's are some that are not so good but do the job. Phosphate or Magnese Phosphate I've been using for years, I actually use it as a base for other coating as it works well. As has been said it's great for soaking a light oil into the surface, which give good water repellancy.

I have played with a park type finish with my coatings for many years and it comes out really well, you'd be hard pushed to the difference once it's oiled up.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 27-10-2014 at 11:14.

It used to be very popular here in the past , but the high performance coatings have become easily available , so you don't see it as often . I've had a few rifles Parkerized over the years and , when it's done properly , it is a really durable finish . I had an 03A3 Springfield that had a really nice green tint to it , another one I should have kept lol .

AB

Good Parkerizing is very protective. As The Tramp says, oil it up good with an oil that is heavier than water, like Tri-Flow ( now Break Free), or the USGI CLP, the older PS-L, etc, and it will fill the pores and float off water. Before I had a stainless rifle, I used an FR-8 Mauser in 7.62x51 for rainy hunting. No problems.

I have a USGI Colt with the nice green Parkerizing, just like on the M1 Garand. But for really wet use, I put a stainless barrel and other parts in a steel Commander and had all the frame and slide Teflon coated. Teflon makes a nice finish ( SIG SHR 970, Sauer Outback).

The bad name parkerizing has acquired comes not from the process but the level of metal finish (polishing) generally underneath. Well polished, a gun can come out with a nice matt appearance that is very durable. I was once given a Marlin lever in 32 Win Spec that had some significant rust spots. Rather than try to polish them out I sand blasted the gun and re-blued it. Everybody thought it was parkerized becasue of how rough it was.

SS