Geordies first roe deer

Jonher

Geordies first roe deer - Driven Roe Deer Hunt

Well after over a year of training, it finally all came together on Saturday morning and my dachs, Geordie had his first roe deer shot in front of him :cool:

We had arranged a group hunt with my dachs for roe deer in our terrain in Ski, 30 minutes outside of Oslo, we would start in the area around a small farm where we know the roe deer come out to feed during the night. Everyone was at their posts in the forest edges around the fields for about 9am so I set off with Geordie to the farm fields and released him, I could see straight away from his body language and occasional bark that he was picking up on some fresh scent and just needed to lock in on the tracks, after about 10 - 15 minutes he began searching further and further away from me with his barking becoming more frequent, then with a quick hop over a ditch he was off into the forest in full chase. I messaged on the radio that the hunt was on and for everyone to be ready as the roe deer are often a few hundred meters in front of the dog. Initially I could see on my GPS that Geordie was heading south away from all of our hunting team, but then suddenly his tracks on the GPS turned and began to go Northwards. About five minutes later I hear on the radio that a big buck has just ran past one of the posts but was travelling too fast for any chance of a shot, minutes later I get confirmation that Geordie was now at the post in full chase, this was just the news I had been waiting for :D the buck was running all over the area and several people reported sightings but unfortunately he was in full sprint so no chance of a shot. After a little over one hour of chasing Geordie turned and began following his tracks back, this was actually great timing as the roe buck had now gone far south again and had left our terrain, I intercepted Geordie and took him back to the meeting place where we were to take a break and have some food. All the guys on the team were full of excitement after a great chase and were very happy with the performance of my young dog, he's only 1.5 year old so has a lot to learn! I checked the GPS and he had covered just under 7.5 km's in 1 hour and 10 minutes so a great start to the morning.

Sitting round the campfire, it was still early so we began to plan the second drive of the day, it was decided that we would try more North in the terrain not far from a small village where the roe deer often bed down. We organised posts and I drove to the area where I would release Geordie, walking to the agreed release point Geordie started reacting on the leash and I could see some roe deer tracks in the mud, I checked on the radio that everyone was in position and then released him. After about 2 or 3 minutes he was in full chase so I gave the message to the hunting team to be ready, 5 minutes later over the radio I hear a report of a doe with two kids plus a buck sighted, seconds later a shot rings out a few hundred meters away :eek: then the news I had been waiting for..... one of the team members Steinar had shot one of the roe kids and congratulated me - I was over the moon! :D Geordie had continued to hunt the doe with the other kid and the buck had taken off in another direction. I made my way over to Steinar and congratulated him, this was only the second time I had used Geordie in a proper hunt and now we had taken a deer over him, hopefully this will seal the deal in his head. Shortly after arriving at Steinars post I could see that Geordie was following his tracks back to the shot site, Steinar readied his phone and we managed to get this little video of him returning to the kill.

http://youtu.be/hmEpCiMTGnA

After giving him a few minutes to rag at the deer with lots of praise I put him back on the tracks of the doe with the remaining kid, he quickly took up the chase again and several members of the team had the deer pass by but were unable to shoot. After a further 45 minutes he turned and followed his tracks back and I called him in. All in all a great finish to a great day! :D

F56642B2-B3A1-40A5-9E47-96FB252D2A1D_zpsbpzsqin5.png

Last edited:
Very enjoyable read from another Daschund owner.
I'm intrigued how you guys use them to hunt.Do you just let him off and he hunts and flushes the deer?

Mines 8 months now,doing recall very often,stubborn is probably the wrong word.
My only regret is not getting one sooner.

Very enjoyable read from another Daschund owner.
I'm intrigued how you guys use them to hunt.Do you just let him off and he hunts and flushes the deer?

Mines 8 months now,doing recall very often,stubborn is probably the wrong word.
My only regret is not getting one sooner.

Thank you gelert!

We release them in the terrain and they search for the roe deer by following the scent from the tracks, when he gets on fresh scent he begins to bark, the barking increases as the scent gets stronger until he is in full pursuit where he is barking almost constantly. Obviously due to the size of the dachshund it is highly unlikely that he will ever catch a roe deer unless he came across a badly injured one, therefore the dogs are used more as a tool to move the animals around in the hunting area where we have people posted. In Norway there are strict regulation on using dogs for deer, they can only be smaller dogs with a shoulder height no greater than 41cm's.

I worked a lot on the general commands and he is great at home with sitting, coming to heel, lying down, waiting etc.... but when he is chasing after a deer he is another dog, doesn't seem to hear anything - hopefully this will improve over time.

Last edited:
Thank you gelert!

but when he is chasing after a deer he is another dog, doesn't seem to hear anything - hopefully this will improve over time.

In yer dreams;). Nice one. Its good when it all comes together.
Not been out hunting the Dog and gun yet but he has been out by himself and hunted. I will wait till the weather is a bit colder.

In yer dreams;). Nice one. Its good when it all comes together.
Not been out hunting the Dog and gun yet but he has been out by himself and hunted. I will wait till the weather is a bit colder.

One has to live in hope Alan :lol:

Looking forward to hear how you get on when you go out with the dog!

Enjoyed the hunting tale, thanks for taking the time to post, look forward to hearing more from Geordie

Thanks!

Well done mate glad to see your getting out
ATb tom

Hi Tom, nice to hear from you mate!

I'm not getting out as much as I like but I can't really complain as it's been quite productive so far this year.

How you getting on, you had a good season ?

Well done my friend!
Very rewarding when a good training pays off in a well going track and a successful hunt!

Atb

Michael

Back