Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How warm can you get a sporting rifle barrel before damage

How warm can you get a sporting rifle barrel before damage

So with ref to the above just how many rounds will it take before say .270 get to the point of damaging the barrel. Five round though mine and she gets warm and I let it cool, but is it safe to let it go hotter?

If you can hold on to it, it's fine. That said, I've had the barrel on a 338 stupidly hot, but shoots fine still.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    So with ref to the above just how many rounds will it take before say .270 get to the point of damaging the barrel. Five round though mine and she gets warm and I let it cool, but is it safe to let it go hotter?
    If you're on a sporter profile barrel and a reflex mod, I'd say very few more. Push it and you may affect the concentricity of the barrel - and there's only two fixes for that - chop the barrel til you get concentric again (if at the end) - or replace the barrel.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

In the Scheisskino, I shot around forty rounds through the old Sako .270 Finnbear,pretty much back to back with three other lads, I was a feared I was going to cook her, but no!, she shoots just great to this day, just took the top off a heart on Saturday.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    High bore temperatures will lead to increased levels of oxidation. This oxide layer will be removed when you fire the next round so it's likely that wear rates will be significantly higher with a hot barrel.
    CH

On a three day visit to the Sauer factory some years ago, we spent several hours at the range shooting various rifles up to .300 win mag.

The rifles were quite simply fired until they were so hot they began to give off smoke and fumes along the length of the barrel and then they were connected via the muzzle to an air line and cooled for a few minutes before the process started again. This went on for several hours and thousands of rounds.

I recall myself and Gregor from Tain were pretty amazed by this but our German hosts just laughed it off and said they would expect a barrel life of 30k rounds!

No cleaning was carried out and there was no loss of accuracy.

I bought a Sauer.

I've never got one hot enough to smoke, but certainly hot enough sizzle a drop of water, never had a problem.

Neil.

Thanks gents, the majority of you so far agree barrels will take more heat than I let it get mine too. I am no where near sizzling or smoking.

I would also agree with Hunting solutions comments - the same reason I have a sauer.

also, look at some of the US ranges where AR's are fired for hours round after round, and some of them have accuracy that would amaze!

I don't really worry about barrel temp although on some rifles the poi may change as the barrel cools/heats.

regards,
    Gixer

A few years back we did some demo shooting at the old tunnel range in warminster with a fully auto 5.56 with quick change barrel.
    We got the barrel so hot that when we swapped barrels the sand on the range floor stuck to the barrel, the next time we swapped barrels it was back to POA.