Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copper only bullets for deer

Copper only bullets for deer

Just been talking to a stalking friend he says FC Scotland are now only allowing deer stalking with non lead bullets ????

the russians do some steel bullets ,dont think they do your rifling any good

Someone from the FC should tell me as I was stalking FC scotland last week with 100grn Hornady soft nose
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Bullets

Think it only applies if you are stalking for them not a lease holder, won't be long though

I understand that has been the case for some time. They work well providing the differences are recognised. In general most (including myself) advocate a lighter than usual bullet pushed as fast as possible. The 130g 308 TTSX works very well in my hands as does the 140g TSX out of a 7 RM. The 120g TTSX out of a 6.5 is also meant to be excellent

Quote Originally Posted by jb7x57 View Post
    Think it only applies if you are stalking for them not a lease holder, won't be long though
    I think thats the case, it was brought up in conversation on a course I recently did

Will a 243 manage legal minimum power with lead free? I'm shortly to apply for a deer rifle and dont want to get stuck with a rifle that's not up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Will a 243 manage legal minimum power with lead free? I'm shortly to apply for a deer rifle and dont want to get stuck with a rifle that's not up to the job.
    You shouldn't have a problem in England & Wales but you may have a problem if you are intending to use it in Scotland with larger deer which would require a 100 grn bullet as a minimum.

I asked the question the other day on another thread about the FC in Scotland requirement for non lead bullets. I had heard that while the FC had introduced a requirement for the use of non lead bullets some time ago they have since dropped it due to a few problems. No one answered my question fully, so does anyone know for certain if this is the case. I am only asking out of curiosity. I know we have a few FC rangers on the site perhaps one of them can inform us of the actual situation and not just the rumours that have been doing the rounds.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If you can push a 100gr, .243, cup and core standard Sec 5 projectile at the required speed why would you not be able to push a 100gr copper solid to the same velocity?
    If anything do they not attain higher MV due to the reduced friction of a driving band design rather than full bearing surface?

The question with .243 that is more relevant is around standard 1:10 twist barrels and a bullet that may be 25% longer being stabilised.
    never tried but am sure they work in plenty of rifles

I wasn't thinking of any velocity issues I was thinking about the scarcity of non lead 100+ grn bullets in 6mm calibre.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.