Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilema

Dilema

Chaps Im spoilt for choice, have recently sold my .223 foxing rig and im thinking of replacing it with a new Tikka Lite .223, thinking being THE word,

I already have a .270 Tikka Lite and I like it very much, Now heres the problem I can either get another .223 or a .243,

my thoughts are that a .243 would be useful as a backup deer rifle especially for smaller deer and of course Fox.

OR do I replace the .223 which would be ok for Fox and the two smallest species of Deer, I think I already know the answer which might be to just go ahead with the .243 which would be logical...... I think?

What are your opinions please?

ATB WB

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

.243 still very accurate and are a very good fox round. Most keepers around here now go .243 as its deer legal.

243 and 270 make a great pair
    I have both.
    but I have a .222 and the .243 will be up for sale soon as a result

As you have a 270 which will pretty much do everything stalking-wise, why not consider getting the .243 in more of a varmint format?

Longer more confident shots at fox and still a great option/deer legal for sitting in one place. I have a Sako 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless in .223. (I have larger calibres in a lighter stalking oriented format.) It's insanely accurate at range and I keep considering whether to get another in .243.

People keep saying about .22s being legal on the small deer but are you actually going after CWD or Munties? Only other consideration for the likes of me with closed licence is what the land is cleared for. Oh and a 223 might be cheaper to run which only matters if you use it lots and lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    People keep saying about .22s being legal on the small deer but are you actually going after CWD or Munties? Only other consideration for the likes of me with closed licence is what the land is cleared for. Oh and a 223 might be cheaper to run which only matters if you use it lots and lots.

Roe North of the Border in my case
    Wouldn't hesitate to use it on a muntie or CWD though
    60gr soft points knocks them down with authority
    its just a nice, light, pointy, accurate rifle

why not consider a .22-243

There is no difference in size and weight between a T3 in 223, 243 and 270. The all use the same action and depending on the model the same stock and barrel profile. All that changes between calibres is the size of the hole down down the barrel and the magazine. The only difference between 223 and 243 is the slightly larger shove on squeezing the trigger. Foxes won't know the difference, nor I suspect will deer.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 28-10-2014 at 16:02.

Totally personal choice but I'd rather a foxing rifle and a deer rifle than a multi-purpose rifle.

.243 is a great 'varmint' cartridge, which is what it was designed for. It's also deer legal, so fills your needs nicely. That been said, you already have a deer rifle in the fantastic 270. So rather than compromise and get another deer rifle which is good for fox (or fox rifle which is good for deer ) I'd go for a pure pest cartridge so i'd be looking at .222, .223, 220 swift, 17 rem, 204 ruger or 22-250.
    All mentioned .22's are still small deer legal aswell.