Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quad bikes and crash helmets

quad bikes and crash helmets

is it still legal to ride a quad on the road without a crash helmet.
    im curious, as I say no and a mate says yes.
    who is right.

No lid needed.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by keeperstweed View Post
    who is right.
    Not required under road traffic laws but if employed the HSE see it as a requirement,or something like that!!

Aye ur right no helmet is needed

Slightly off topic is there any way to get round HSE, 1 estate is trying to make me wear a helmet while working on it, and driving the quad off road (but the fact u can take it off to drive on the road just shows how stupid it is)
    Is it possible to write a risk assesment stating that a helmet is not neccessary. I work for myself and just do some work for that estate. The reason being it would mean me wearing it 8-12 hours a day which can't be good for my neck and it restricts ur vison, my quad tends to average about 10km's/hr so i'm not tearing round fields just plodding along. There really is no risk of u rolling or falling of the quad the ground i work on and speed i drive

There are some work/multi use helmets available now that arent as heavy or restrictive.........

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Aye ur right no helmet is needed

Slightly off topic is there any way to get round HSE, 1 estate is trying to make me wear a helmet while working on it, and driving the quad off road (but the fact u can take it off to drive on the road just shows how stupid it is)
    Is it possible to write a risk assesment stating that a helmet is not neccessary. I work for myself and just do some work for that estate. The reason being it would mean me wearing it 8-12 hours a day which can't be good for my neck and it restricts ur vison, my quad tends to average about 10km's/hr so i'm not tearing round fields just plodding along. There really is no risk of u rolling or falling of the quad the ground i work on and speed i drive
    Don't think there is any way round it , think they can pretty much insist you wear one

Much like quad courses, you don't have to have done a course to ride a quad, but an employer
    can't ask someone to ride a quad who does not have a ticket, even if self employed , you will find it more often than not breaches the employers insurance if any operator does not have the required ticket and use full PSE

thanks for the info....

Your employer cannot make you do anything you do not want to do.
    My answer to most of the problems I have with H&S is.
    ( I have done a personal risk assesment and consider the risk of injury very very slight )
    I usualy not always stops H&S officers in their tracks.
    The only problem you will have is if you injure yourself you cannot claim.

It does not work on me as I am the H&S officer for my local Wildfowling club
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by keeperstweed View Post
    who is right.
    Might be legal but it's stupid.~Muir

It all comes down to the Risk assessment. It is the duty of your employer to undertake the risk assessment, he will be the one who ends up in court if there is an accident. As an employee you have a legal duty to correctly use all Personal Protective equipment issued to you.