Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland and the SD week

Scotland and the SD week

I arrived back this weekend from just over a month in Scotland, with the last week of my stay being the SD stalking week. It was another eventful season on the stags and early hind cull, with very warm weather in the early part of October for the far north of Scotland. Temperatures reached 69F at times, and no rain had fallen for over a week.
    The Carron river was a stream, with low returns for Salmon this season of only 130 odd fish, compared to the usual 250+. Stalking was difficult due to the high bracken growth, the warm weather and midges!!

Non the less over the 4 weeks we culled 21 Stags and 17 hinds. I had also arranged access to a friends 5000+ lease and we managed 2 days with success both times. We also lost 2 days due to heavy rain in the second week, so overall not a bad result.

The lads on the SD week all took deer, with Daft Dog culling 4 beasts, and one member taking a nice Red Stag. Todd was called into action on a couple of occasions. Below is a picture of him ragging a Red hind after tracking it through some thick planted forestry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Todd with hind.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	48501

Thank you once again to everyone that helped out, and look forward to next year. Off to Prague on Mouflon next and then back to a full diary and a very busy winter.

Best of luck to everyone and hope the winter stalking proves successful for you all.

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Nice one Malc!

Hope you've rested up and good luck with the mouflon

Alex

Another cracking trip for everyone involved on all weeks, yet again some great lads on the Sd week and some memories made for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Nice one Malc!

Hope you've rested up and good luck with the mouflon

Alex
    Cheers Alex, fingers crossed we all get a reasonable chance at a nice Mouflon each. As its unfenced and fair chase we will have to wait and see.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Malcolm, here is a nice shot of you and Todd.

Nice photo, I think I recognise that tree, is that up the top of the old forest?

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Damn is he still having to knock deer out of the trees? will he never learn?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    This was taken just after we bumped a Sika stag and a hind I believe?

Alex this is in the old forest at the opposite end to the bonsai tree, looking easterly. Shot a few deer over the past 9 years in this small valley.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    This was taken just after we bumped a Sika stag and a hind I believe?

Alex this is in the old forest at the opposite end to the bonsai tree, looking easterly. Shot a few deer over the past 9 years in this small valley.
    Malcolm, if you remember my luck, EVERY picture I took was after we bumped a sika!

There are no shortage of beasts on your lease, that is for certain.