Thread: Blackislander gear

Blackislander gear

Thought I would do a quick review of the new blackislander boots and gaiters that I bought recently and went beating in the next day. First of all I would like to say that the gent who runs Blackislander seems a very decent guy. He was quite happy for me to collect my stuff direct from his house as I live not too far away which was very handy as I was wanting them for the next day. I have always been a Meindl wearer but the Blackislander boots were comfortable straight out of the box. They cost me 209 which I would say is pretty fair for a top end pair of boots. The new scratch proofing on them didnt have a mark on them after a day of hard beating. They also dont need to be re-waterproofed after drying out like other leather boots. So far I am happy with them and have been wearing them every day to loosen the tops up just a little bit more. The gaiters as most people know are about the best gaiters you will get but they are 70 which is a bit pricier than most other gaiters. I dont mind paying for good gear and they certainly seem that. There is nothing worse than gaiters sliding down your legs all day and they didnt do that once. They have a leather strap for going underneath your boot that looks like it will take a lot of punishment before wearing out and a zip with button fastening and draw cords at the top. All in all I would say that the stuff seems to be of very good quality and is built to last. Well worth a look.

Thanks for the info
    Did you get a look at the cromarty waterproof jacket ?

Be good to hear a report after a year of use too .
    norma

I was put off buying a pair of the blackislander ones when looking recently; I spoke to a guy who had had a pair for jusy over a year and the top of the toe, where it creases had started to crack, and he had started to feel a little dampness there. I susect the outside scratchproofing is great until a little bit comes off, then a little more until water starts to touch the leather beneath which then cannot be treated and so this also starts to crack.

I just cannot work out why a boot needs to be leather underneath a scratchproof layer, why not go synthetic? The leather will be the weakness over time as it cannot be conditioned and oiled etc. Just my opinion of course.

I have always had Black Islander gaiters and been very happy with them but the pair I currently have I suspect aren't turning water and I ended up with a very wet foot coming down over through the gaiter into the top of my boots.

They don't seem to leak when stood in a stream but when out all day in the rain it seems to get through, into the collar fo the boot and then work its way down?

Probably will be looking elsewhere next time round but in the past have been very impressed.

Dan

None of my blackislander boots lasted a year, disappointing as they were very comfy

Al

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    I was put off buying a pair of the blackislander ones when looking recently; I spoke to a guy who had had a pair for jusy over a year and the top of the toe, where it creases had started to crack, and he had started to feel a little dampness there. I susect the outside scratchproofing is great until a little bit comes off, then a little more until water starts to touch the leather beneath which then cannot be treated and so this also starts to crack.

I just cannot work out why a boot needs to be leather underneath a scratchproof layer, why not go synthetic? The leather will be the weakness over time as it cannot be conditioned and oiled etc. Just my opinion of course.

I have had a pair for 4 years now and are still waterproof bought a new pair in April and they cracked along the top
    of the toes all ready not inpressed with the new range of boots.

Iv had the boots a couple of years now and probably wear them rough shooting stalking etc two or three times a week at least in water mud and all rough ground and havnt had any bother and quite right they are very comfortable out of the box and can be swilled off with the hose like a pair of wellies the only bit that has been treated is the tongue which has no coating the beauty of the coating is unlike ordinary leather boots that need treating cant be done till they dry no need with these but like owt else common sense should tell you where any week spots are likeley to be and should be dealt with accordingly i suppose i made a pair of gaiters out of some nackered breathable stocking foot chest waders,they have a hook to atach to your laces already i just cut the neoprene foot off and got the wife to cut em just below the knee and sew a hem and thread some elastic in,you put em on roll the bottom up put your boot on and roll it back down ,job done no messing with drawstrings velcro press studs zips or buttons ,ok you cant take em off without taking the boots off but that dont matter to me coz i drive home in my shooting gear i cant be messed getting changed at the motor just get a brew get in and get home Dave

I'll give the boots about a month of use before they leak !

I have a pair ,the right boot leaks,talked to Hamish ,tried to return ,he would not entertain me at all ,told me that they only have one year warranty ,bought a pair of meindl s ,great boots no problems ,heather or streams.
    best of luck