Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Sctoland stopping condition 'o'

Police Sctoland stopping condition 'o'

A word of warning to Scottish folks:

after a conversation with Fettes yesterday, it seems that they have been told by the Home Office that they can no longer grant condition 'o' on an FAC.

This is the condition that authorises you to obtain a new rifle on the condition that you dispose of an existing one. It is the useful condition that allows you to hang onto (and continue to use) a rifle up to the point where you can sell it and immediately replace it.

The lady I spoke to agreed that this was going to be extremely inconvenient for a lot of people, and indicated that there was going to be a meeting about it shortly.

However, anyone who has a currently active application for this type variation iis likely to be waiting a very long time. Best get them to send you back your ticket and go the normal route (sell the gun and apply for straightforward 1-for-1).

I didn't know there was such a thing.
    Seems a retrograde step to me. With the pressure on licencing staff it seems to me that they need all the streamlining they can get, and so do we.
    I have a right hand rifle but would like to turn it into a left hand,no calibre or model change,that's it. I'd also want to keep using it right up until the swap.
    Have to wait and see what happens.
    Thanks for the info.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing.
    Seems a retrograde step to me. With the pressure on licencing staff it seems to me that they need all the streamlining they can get, and so do we.
    I have a right hand rifle but would like to turn it into a left hand,no calibre or model change,that's it. I'd also want to keep using it right up until the swap.
    Have to wait and see what happens.
    Thanks for the info.
    AKA the Grampian condition. I did this very recently exchanging one 17HMR for another. Historically available here in Scotland because of often large distances to travel from home to RFDs I think? I have two and a half hour journey each way (recent landslips allowing). That's a lot of Diesel!
    Last edited by blaven; 29-10-2014 at 09:40.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Yup - condition 'o' would have been perfect in this instance.

I think everyone (both the Police and us) would ultimately be happier if there was a system which allowed for 1-for-1s without the need for a variation at all. It would substantially cut down their workload and would make our lives a whole lot easier.

Since when has common sense applied at the home office , some bureaucratic tird will have noticed or more likely told by another tird at acpo about this sensible arrangement and immediately sprang into action to ban it .

Grrrr
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

just had my variation 1:1 back from fettes,,,9 weeks and incorrect...sent back and hping to have back by xmas

also unaware that existed
    not surprised they are binning it though, too much like freedom of choice there!

just get an additional rifle added before you sell
    two rifles in the same calibre has never been an issue
    might cost you 26 in the long run but thats about 1/3 of a tank of petrol to sell one, get a 141, go back and buy another rifle!

Recently had a 3 off - 3 on variation from Grampian , some were conditional on disposal of the 3 going off , made life much easier . I suppose that's it , it was too simple and easy !
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    just had my variation 1:1 back from fettes,,,9 weeks and incorrect...sent back and hping to have back by xmas
    I'm doomed.

What is their problem? The rest of Scotland never seems to have these issues.

Makes me wonder - if only you could request to have your file handled by a different force - like moving to a different GP. Wouldn't that be nice...

Oh to tell them that I'm not happy with the service and am taking my business elsewhere. Lol
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"