Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police visits

Police visits

When I go out stalking I sometimes leave home around 3 am
    I load my car up the night before with all but my rifle. The car is locked,alarmed and immobilised and parked under my bedroom window on the drive behind the closed gates. I have a locked case in the car with ammo and rifle bolt.

My cabinets are in the loft so I remove my rifle the night before and have it in its case in the spare bedroom behind the bed.
    All the doors are locked and the house is alarmed.

Now if say at around 8pm there is a knock at the door and I find the police there to make an unannounced visit to inspect my guns and their security.

How do you think they would react to the rifle not being in the cabinet ?

In my opinion, they would take a dim view of your rifle bolt and ammunition being in your car.
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria

I would say you will look like the man in my profile pic -your guns!

I believe certain car dealerships are offered a reward for reporting live rounds in customers cars so take care on that one.

I disagree with the advice so far. Having spent a week in Scotland I did exactly that - bolt and ammo locked in a safe in my car, gun out of sight in a slip in the cottage. The critical thing is no one has a complete weapon.

I have a safe in my car. Frequently I will have a hand gun with me throughout the working day and the car can be left for periods of time completely unattended. Sometimes I might even go to the supermarket. I'm not concerned.

My FEO is good in every way expect he won't be drawn into firearms security answers. The best I got from him was if someone stole my gun and I still had a bit to give the police (bolt, forestock) then that would be a very positive thing in my favour. No-one is ever going to give you the 100% OK on this.

Is it OK me leaving a damp gun out of the cabinet overnight in my room to dry? I argue yes. It's not OK for me to leave it out and go to work.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Apache... You used the banned "W" word now go to the naughty step!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I disagree with the advice so far. Having spent a week in Scotland I did exactly that - bolt and ammo locked in a safe in my car, gun out of sight in a slip in the cottage. The critical thing is no one has a complete weapon.

I have a safe in my car. Frequently I will have a hand gun with me throughout the working day and the car can be left for periods of time completely unattended. Sometimes I might even go to the supermarket. I'm not concerned.

My FEO is good in every way expect he won't be drawn into firearms security answers. The best I got from him was if someone stole my gun and I still had a bit to give the police (bolt, forestock) then that would be a very positive thing in my favour. No-one is ever going to give you the 100% OK on this.

Is it OK me leaving a damp gun out of the cabinet overnight in my room to dry? I argue yes. It's not OK for me to leave it out and go to work.

Thank you Apache. My thoughts exactly

Guys don't you think that you are perhaps giving too much information about your security arrangements on an open forum that is available for all to see.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As I see it, if you are away from home, then you do what is reasonable to secure your firearms (leave out of sight in locked cars with necessary bits removed and so on).

But the OP is saying that whilst at home, which has perfectly good security in the way of firearms cabinet(s) he leaves his rifle out of the cabinet and his ammunition and bolt outside in the car. You could argue that these arrangements are still secure, but patently it isn't as secure as them being locked away in their safes. He is choosing this lessened state of security only because it's more convenient.

If something were to happen (car broken into, for the most likely example) I dare to suggest the police would take a dim view. I also think that the OP thinks this too. Else why post this?

If I were you hogey, I wouldn't do this. And if I did, I wouldn't be posting it on here or anywhere else.

Read condition 4(a) on your ticket. If I was a feo/copper and your rifle /ammo had been nicked I wouldn't consider your kit to have been stored "securely as reasonably practical" if you have a functioning safe in the house.

I'd move your cabinet to make that reasonably practical!