Grid Reference App and how to find someone

Erik Hamburger

Previous posts/discussions about this discussed how to communicate ones exact location in a remote spot to others, and which location system to use.
Many solutions were offered which made it clear to me that different emergency services in different areas use different systems; and that there is no 'benchmark' of how to do this in an emergency.
I have now installed an App on my phone called 'GB Grid Ref Worker' which sends a text or email with the Northings and Eastings and other map ref. coordinates, you can even attach a picture made on site.
There are many other Apps available that pinpoint your location and allow you to forward the information to someone else (for example to the emergency services)

My question is: If you are on the receiving end, which App/system (installable on a phone) should be used to enter those Coordinates so someone can find that spot quickly?

Thank you

Phones are ok - when you can get a signal & there are some good aps -
Where I stalk there is no mobile coverage for miles - The best system I've found is the Delorme Inreach. It is a PLB / GPS tracker & text based satellite comms system that will work anywhere on earth where you can see the sky.
I can go off on my own, set the Inreach to track me, send a txt to my home contact or any one's mobile with a web link & they can see where I am every 10 minutes on a map. So even if I was to fall over & couldn't operate the PLB emergency call system they could see where I was & send help. Brilliant system!

Ian

Google Maps should work fine?

Eh?? I was at the lighthouse on the Mull of Kintyre recently, and Google maps had me in a farm in Northern Ireland. I couldn't believe it and retried several times. Predictably it refused to budge on the issue!

Eh?? I was at the lighthouse on the Mull of Kintyre recently, and Google maps had me in a farm in Northern Ireland. I couldn't believe it and retried several times. Predictably it refused to budge on the issue!

That sounds like a GPS hardware / software interface failure to me - not linking the sat signal to the map data. - can be the problem when two different systems are co-reliant. In your case GPS satellite signals & receiver mixing it with web based map from google.

Ian

Edit - You can report anomalies back to Google - It's probably worth a try just for fun.

Last edited:

Understood - in my defence, I was answering the Q about in what programme can one put cords to get locations, as opposed to recommending Google Maps as a tracker. Other apps that do similar are 'ActInNature' and 'TrimbleGPS' - but as discussed both have limitations on signal.

OS site should also provide detail given grid ref or northings/eastings.

Hello Yorric,
How does that work, and where can you obtain it from,, and will it work off an android phone, any info would be gratefully received (pardon the pun!!)

patrickt

Phones are ok - when you can get a signal & there are some good aps -
Where I stalk there is no mobile coverage for miles - The best system I've found is the Delorme Inreach. It is a PLB / GPS tracker & text based satellite comms system that will work anywhere on earth where you can see the sky.
I can go off on my own, set the Inreach to track me, send a txt to my home contact or any one's mobile with a web link & they can see where I am every 10 minutes on a map. So even if I was to fall over & couldn't operate the PLB emergency call system they could see where I was & send help. Brilliant system!

Ian
You don't need to be to far away fro civilisation. I have an Inreach SE on me and love it when Stalking or walking. Not cheep but then it's an amazing device.

Hello Yorric,
How does that work, and where can you obtain it from,, and will it work off an android phone, any info would be gratefully received (pardon the pun!!)

patrickt

Mine came from Bushwear. There is another company in the UK that sells them including the contracts for satellite time - Google DeLorme InReach & you'll see the makers web site too. - Lots of explanations there.
Yes it does work with Android devices as a display/input interface but best of all it does the important safety stuff stand alone.- Including sending up to three pre-recorded txt messages to pre-set contacts.

Ian

Back