Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acorns or the lack of them

Acorns or the lack of them

Sorry for posting a link to this dreadful "newspaper" but the article is about something I've noticed this year too, the total lack of acorns in most areas where I visit and the beechmast is pretty thin too;
    Acorns in short supply, say Forestry Commission and naturalists | Environment | theguardian.com
    Are you lot noticing the same or is it varied across the UK/British Isles?
    What's the situation on the continent?
    There could be a lot of starving wildlife this year if the situation is as bad all over as it is in the New Forest.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Surely it's just part and parcel of nature. Some times we have 'mast' years and sometimes we don't. Not great for individual animals, but there it is.

Novice

On my ground in the new Forrest there are lots of beach masts but not quiet as big as normal but the amount of chestnuts is unbelievable the bucks have already moved on to them to feed up after the rut. O and no acorns to speak of.

Plenty of sweet Chestnuts albeit not very big but no acorns on any tree where as last year they were getting on for two inches in length. Haven't looked at the Beech yet but the Hazel bushes were loaded with nuts.

Early yesterday morning we noticed wood pigeons flying round in huge flocks and commented that we should have been stood with shotguns instead of rifles as most were well within shotgun range

The oldest chestnut on my patch has failed to produce a single fruit this year.

Gutted as it is a tree I take at least 15 squirrel from each season. Most as they rummage in the leaf litter beneath it.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Huge numbers of acorns here last year but almost none this year. Much more beech mast, however. Hazels/Cobs as normal. Lots of sloes and other hedgerow fruit. Unfortunately I don't have any sweet chestnuts on my ground so I can't comment there.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Same here, last year loads of acorns. This year next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Sorry for posting a link to this dreadful "newspaper" but the article is about something I've noticed this year too, the total lack of acorns in most areas where I visit and the beechmast is pretty thin too;
    Acorns in short supply, say Forestry Commission and naturalists | Environment | theguardian.com
    Are you lot noticing the same or is it varied across the UK/British Isles?
    What's the situation on the continent?
    There could be a lot of starving wildlife this year if the situation is as bad all over as it is in the New Forest.
    Yes, there is a very light crop of acorns in The New Forest, so a few of the squirrels may go short. However, it may mean that there will not be over 150 pony/cow deaths due to acorn poisoning. Also there were large numbers of pigeon dying due to acorn poisoning, and heavy numbers of beech nuts. The pigs did well on the extended Pannage period though!

We have had very heavy, sloe, damson, and horse/sweet chestnut crops so there is a balance.

Not a single acorn on the oaks on my ground this year.

Last year was a mast year and you never get 2 consecutive mast years so this year there will be a lot less acorns... it's nothing new
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox