Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Double 8 Bore

  1. #1

    Double 8 Bore

    I'm in the market for a double 8 or even a single if all else fails. A greylag or zabala type 8 would be preferred but tolly's etc more than considered.

    If you know of one anywhere it'd be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Try Alan Myers gunsmith at Preston Lancashire. atb.

  3. #3
    I don't know what your experience is with an 8 bore so I hope I am not teaching granny to suck eggs.
    I used a double hammer E M Reilly 8, with Damascus barrels for twenty five years. With two and a half ounces of #1 or #3 lead shot it was very effective on geese if held true. Its power was such that I could not shoot geese at forty yards because of severe damage to the carcass. I loaded my own cartridges too.

    The advent of the lead ban in England and Wales, saw me re-load my stock of cartridges with bismuth #1 but I couldn't get two and a half ounces into the three and a quarter inch cases. I persevered with using it on the Ouse Washes for several years but with some spectacular misses. The loss of the lead shot had destroyed the power of my old gun which shot very low at long range. I eventually sold it for a considerable sum of money. English 8 bores are very expensive and getting more expensive every year.

    I have seen several really good examples of the AYA Matador 10 bore, that have been re-bored and chambered to 8 bore, however I do not know if they would stand proof for steel shot. I appreciate that you have a different situation regarding lead shot in Scotland. I hope you are successful in your quest.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

  4. #4
    Teach away uncle Norm. I have a long held yearning for a 8 bore and no experience of one. I passed up a Greylag 2 years ago and greatly regret it.

    Currently using a Browning semi 10 bore and happy with it's performance. I do know of a Greylag 10 for sale that has been sitting on the self for sale since it was manufactured and is as such new & unused. I may go down the route of seeing if any smiths will consider boring it out...

    I fear that we are going to see all the old fowling pieces end up in the hands of people who would never consider firing them and all the poor peoples large bores (greylags, Zabalas etc) wasting away in cupboards unforgotten as demand is non-existent and supply all and sundry to keep it shooting is next to unobtainable apart from through limited channels.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pridge View Post
    Try Alan Myers gunsmith at Preston Lancashire. atb.
    Will do, much appreciated.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Teach away uncle Norm. I have a long held yearning for a 8 bore and no experience of one. I passed up a Greylag 2 years ago and greatly regret it.

    Currently using a Browning semi 10 bore and happy with it's performance. I do know of a Greylag 10 for sale that has been sitting on the self for sale since it was manufactured and is as such new & unused. I may go down the route of seeing if any smiths will consider boring it out...

    I fear that we are going to see all the old fowling pieces end up in the hands of people who would never consider firing them and all the poor peoples large bores (greylags, Zabalas etc) wasting away in cupboards unforgotten as demand is non-existent and supply all and sundry to keep it shooting is next to unobtainable apart from through limited channels.
    Yes indeed, they call it progress or something similar . I share your lament for some of the old fowling pieces.

    However for what it is worth, my brother (who is a member on here) did a lot of coastal wildfowling on the Wash. He tried all sorts of guns but ended up with the Browning 10 bore self loader. As you say, a very effective piece for geese.

    If you need to shoot non-toxic at a reasonable price, then it has to be 'steel'. The 'steel' (soft iron) cartridges have come a very long way in the last decade but the old classics simply were not intended for the pressures generated, which is why I also sold a classic Greener 3'' Mag SBS.

    I now have a Browning Fusion 3'' self loader, that will shoot anything my shoulder can take. Its just not the same though.

    Before you spend any money on a more modern SBS or have one bored out, do talk to BASC (Dr John Harradine if he is still there) regarding steel shot, pressures, proof etc. Enjoy your journey, wherever it may take you.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

  7. #7
    For wildfowling I have the "sublime", "sensible" & the "rediculous".

    Sublime - my 8 bore single by Pryse - shoot ITM through it (when I feel rich) over the wet stuff & lead on dry land. Love it!
    Sensible - Winchester #23 side by side 12 ga with 3" chambers. - Nice for the pigeons,ducks & the odd goose.
    Rediculous (but very effective) - Mossberg 835 pump for every day mud plugging - 12 ga chamber - 10 bore vented barrel - 3.5" steel proof, so anything 12 bore goes in that except 2.5" cartridges which it won't feed. - The only gun I've got that I can drop in the sea, shake out all the water, reload it & shoot it with confidence. It rattles like a tin skeleton handles like a dog but I like the fact that it's so bomb proof!

    Ali - if you want to see the Pryse just get in touch. (It ain't for sale though!)

    Ian

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    For wildfowling I have the "sublime", "sensible" & the "rediculous".

    Sublime - my 8 bore single by Pryse - shoot ITM through it (when I feel rich) over the wet stuff & lead on dry land. Love it!
    Sensible - Winchester #23 side by side 12 ga with 3" chambers. - Nice for the pigeons,ducks & the odd goose.
    Rediculous (but very effective) - Mossberg 835 pump for every day mud plugging - 12 ga chamber - 10 bore vented barrel - 3.5" steel proof, so anything 12 bore goes in that except 2.5" cartridges which it won't feed. - The only gun I've got that I can drop in the sea, shake out all the water, reload it & shoot it with confidence. It rattles like a tin skeleton handles like a dog but I like the fact that it's so bomb proof!

    Ali - if you want to see the Pryse just get in touch. (It ain't for sale though!)

    Ian
    Your on Ian, happily take you up on that offer!

  9. #9
    There is a Ralph Grant double 8 on guntrader at the moment,could that be the same Yorric ? Hows life treating you Ian ?
    Last edited by winchester63; 31-10-2014 at 13:43.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester63 View Post
    There is a Ralph Grant double 8 on guntrader at the moment,could that be the same Yorric ? Hows life treating you Ian ?
    There's only one Yorric & has been since my GSP died! Life is good now -- Busy shootin/stalking & bringing up a litter of Golden Retriever puppies just now - Loads o' fun.

    Ian

Similar Threads

  1. Wild bore double video
    By glogin in forum Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 14:35
  2. Had a double this morning
    By remmy in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 19:33
  3. Father and son double double
    By Roedinator in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 19:05
  4. Double Four
    By flyingfisherman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 19:30
  5. Another double
    By mickthebrick in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-02-2010, 15:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •