Good scope to use for nv and low light stalking on a .243

dan71

Hi im looking for a scope with side pa that i can use an add on nv but it must also be good for late evening stalking. Any ideas? I was looking around £300

The problem you have with attempting both is that decent low light scopes have coatings on the glass that inhibit ir which is what you need to get through with most nv add on kits. A number of nv forums I'm on generally say the cheaper the glass the better it works with nv.

Dan,

What sort of add on are you considering?
What mag range are you considering?

At the price range you're looking, almost certainly second hand better glass - or you'll lose the low light performance. A second rifle is certainly an option - but far more expensive than the budget you specify....

Im not sure on nv untill i get a scope i can use it with. But i dont no what scope to get yet!

Im not sure on nv untill i get a scope i can use it with. But i dont no what scope to get yet!

Dan - this feels a bit backward to me. However, there are some considerations that may help close the range a bit.
1⃣. If you need parallax for NV, side is more convenient than objective
2⃣. Parallax only tends to be found on higher mag scopes (>15 mag) - where the error becomes significant.
3⃣. Consider the range scopes parallax down to. Some will only be to 100m, or 50m. If you're doing bunnies closer with NV, you may want one that parallaxes to say 10m.
4⃣. Think about the mag range you need for stalking - and NV - and then prioritise the one you shoot most with.
5⃣. IR coatings are less of an issue when you use a good illuminator, so factor in something. A T20IR is good and not expensive to get you started.

Feels like you're settling round something like a 4-16x50 to cover the bases. MTC scopes are fine, but my recommendation would be to press your budget a little and buy the Vortex Viper HS model, which for me has better low light capability than the MTC's.

There's an equal list for NV once you've decided budget for that.
I would say you might be worth waiting a short while on both to hear first reviews of the ATN X-Sight, which, if it does what it says on the tin, could cover both bases - but it's a big if......

Hope this helps

Back