Weihrauch HW66 .222

flatliner

Morning all

I've just come across a Wiehrauch HW66 in .222 advertised locally. Just wondering if anyone had any experience of these rifles in centrefire?

Thanks
Davey

Both my uncle and I had HW60s. his in hornet and mine in K hornet. These are a bewdiful rifle. I doubt the rear locking action will be any detriment. Both ours were very accurate. There os a pic of mine in my gallery but I can't work out how to move pics from gallery to the thread. If the price is right is expect you will be very happy.

The Weihrauch HW66 is a brilliant rifle in any calibre, lovely light trigger and a slick bolt. The HW66 Jagd match with heavy barrel and target style stock is the one to go for. As alaways make sure its a Hull Cartridge import as grey imports are second grade.

Thanks lads. I remember handling a Jagd match .17hmr version a few years ago and though it was a nicely finished rifle. Any obvious way of telling if it's a Hull Cartridge import?

The Weihrauch HW66 is a brilliant rifle in any calibre, lovely light trigger and a slick bolt. The HW66 Jagd match with heavy barrel and target style stock is the one to go for. As alaways make sure its a Hull Cartridge import as grey imports are second grade.

Yes a nice rifle and one that I tried hard to buy a couple of years back in fact I wanted to buy two, the first in .222rem and a matching .22Lr. However Hull Cartridge Company couldn't be bothered to reply to my numerous enquiries and despite pestering a local dealer for months on end they never came back to me with a price or even to tell me if they could actually get the rifle or not.
As far as I am concerned Hull Cartridge company are a total waste of time and are not interested in selling rimfire and centrefire rifles at all.

This year I bought a hw 60j in .22 hornet. It is by far the best rifle I own. Solidly built. Very well finished and amazingly accurate. A friend of mine was amazed when he used it at hoe it felt like a full bore stalking rifle not like a miniature version of a rifle. The barrel on mine and I think on all of their centre fire is semi heavy weight unless you go for the jagd match. I wondered if this would make it unbalanced but it comes up to the shoulder beautifully and is very well balanced. I believe weihrauchs centre fire rifles were built around the hornet so the action is all in proportion and not a long action scaled down. I can honestly say if they made one in 308 I would buy one in a heartbeat and the only reason I haven't got one in .22 LR is it would mean selling my dads cz which just isn't going to happen

I got mine from Ivythorn sporting. Steve ordered it in for me and hull cartridge said there would be a twelve week wait. Well it turned up in 6 weeks. The weihrauch website is a bit rubbish and I couldnt find out if the 60j that I wanted could be factory screw cut and come with a clean barrel. But Steve sorted it for me and it is just brilliant. He now stocks the weihrauch rifles so may the worth a look at if you want another opinion or advice

There will be the name hull cartridge stamped into the action if its a proper import. Its clear to see and there is no need to take the action from the stock to find it

Hope this helps

Regards Pete

Last edited:
This year I bought a hw 60j in .22 hornet. It is by far the best rifle I own. Solidly built. Very well finished and amazingly accurate. A friend of mine was amazed when he used it at hoe it felt like a full bore stalking rifle not like a miniature version of a rifle. The barrel on mine and I think on all of their centre fire is semi heavy weight unless you go for the jagd match. I wondered if this would make it unbalanced but it comes up to the shoulder beautifully and is very well balanced. I believe weihrauchs centre fire rifles were built around the hornet so the action is all in proportion and not a long action scaled down. I can honestly say if they made one in 308 I would buy one in a heartbeat and the only reason I haven't got one in .22 LR is it would mean selling my dads cz which just isn't going to happen

I got mine from Ivythorn sporting. Steve ordered it in for me and hull cartridge said there would be a twelve week wait. Well it turned up in 6 weeks. The weihrauch website is a bit rubbish and I couldnt find out if the 60j that I wanted could be factory screw cut and come with a clean barrel. But Steve sorted it for me and it is just brilliant. He now stocks the weihrauch rifles so may the worth a look at if you want another opinion or advice

There will be the name hull cartridge stamped into the action if its a proper import. Its clear to see and there is no need to take the action from the stock to find it

Hope this helps

Regards Pete

That's good to know, many thanks

No problem. I'm sure you will love it. Ive not done proper load testing on my hornet yet but with my first batch of home loads I'm getting five shots inside a five pence piece at 90 yards

Weihrauch are a fantastic rifle maker I've got a 14inch hw60j .22LR couldn't even consider parting with it

if a .22 hornet came up Id buy that also purely for foxes

hulk cartridge will be stamped top of barrel / receiver I believe mine wasn't imported by them tho

I do know the bolt handles have changed possibly sometime in the last 5 years maybe longer

if it's a smooth bolt knob it's the older version but if it's a knurled not quite round knob it's a newer version of the gun this isn't gospal just an observation

I have the HW 60 J in 22 Lr and WMR and they perform faultlessly, good bolt action as smooth as silk and quiet, very very well engineered and they both shoot hole on hole at 70 and 100 yds

i got rid of the sako LR because of the ejector fault and got the hw60j in LR few weeks later I also got it in WMR that's how impressed I was with it

atb

phil

Back