Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Cigs - Your thoughts?

E-Cigs - Your thoughts?

This doesn't effect me so I am asking purely out of interest.
    A great many people have quit smoking by going over to E-Cigs. Now this might well be a good idea if it helps people who have been smokers for most of their lives but do members think that enough research has been done into the long term health effects of the ingredients and chemicals put into the liquids that are used to fill these E-Cigs?
    Would anyone care to offer any thoughts or facts on the matter?

This does not affect me either. however there are a huge amount of highly toxic substances inhaled by the inhalation of burning tobacco and the correlation with serious debilitating diseases and cancers is well known. There are only a few substances in an e cig so it should be easier to identify the danger e cigs pose if any its taken three hundred years for tobacco.
    I heard a leading medical expert from the British Heart Foundation on the radio who was answering a question on the dangers of e cigs and his opinion was if they do offer an opportunity to get people away from smoking tobacco then its the best thing for public health in a long time. That is paraphrased.
    My concern and it may be unfounded is two fold. Firstly nicotine is a highly toxic alkaloid in its own right and a cigarette has a limited burn time so people know how much they are smoking a day, is this the same for e cigs or could they be inhaling more nicotine all be it without the other very harmful chemicals from tobacco, and would this be detrimental. Secondly will people who would not smoke become e cig users as it is supposedly safer. Users of e cigs can reduce the level of nicotine they have in the e cig to zero and some give up completely with there assistance. I also know people who have stopped smoking but are still addicted to nicotine gum after many years. I am aware of a case where relatives believe a man died as a result of the toxic effects of the heated oil from an e cig. However an Aspirin will kill a susceptible person.
    Bottom line and purely my opinion based on little clinical evidence as the research still has to be done, I think they have to be better than smoking tobacco. Also users of e cigs smell better and don't have smokers breath, again purely my opinion.

Smoking anything is a disgusting habit and should be banned. Everyone I know that has got life threatening illnesses through smoking gives it woe is me, and wish they had never started smoking. There is plenty of information out there letting them know the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Smoking anything is a disgusting habit and should be banned. Everyone I know that has got life threatening illnesses through smoking gives it woe is me, and wish they had never started smoking. There is plenty of information out there letting them know the consequences.
    I have to agree with you Howy but unfortuinately for many people that are "of advancing years" the information and warnings about the dangers of smoking was not available back in the 50s and 60s, in fact as a general rule at the time all the telly and magazine adverts actually encouraged smoking as a perfectly sociable and acceptable thing to do back then!

I do have to wonder if E-Cigs are actually promoted and favoured by the tobacco companies (I have to admit that I haven't come across any figures which show just how involved the tobacco companies are or how much they might have invested in E-Cigs) as more and more people quit smoking ciggies and swing over to using E-Cigs as a replacement to smoking tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I have to agree with you Howy but unfortuinately for many people that are "of advancing years" the information and warnings about the dangers of smoking was not available back in the 50s and 60s, in fact as a general rule at the time all the telly and magazine adverts actually encouraged smoking as a perfectly sociable and acceptable thing to do back then!

I do have to wonder if E-Cigs are actually promoted and favoured by the tobacco companies (I have to admit that I haven't come across any figures which show just how involved the tobacco companies are or how much they might have invested in E-Cigs) as more and more people quit smoking ciggies and swing over to using E-Cigs as a replacement to smoking tobacco.

Pete, have you and your good lady managed to pack up, as I recall she had a big scare some time ago and you were unwell a while ago....?

Tim.243

They are a useful tool to help give up with in my opinion, but the problem is they have now become a fashion accessory in their own right. Non smokers are taking up 'vaping' now. You can buy 'hacks' and add-ons to increase the vapour from your device.... I saw a kid the other day disappearing in a cloud of vanilla flavoured smoke. He looked like a disco fogging machine

If the liquid contains significant nicotine then you have to wonder if some people are actually increasing their dependence with increasing use of the e-cig?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Pete, have you and your good lady managed to pack up, as I recall she had a big scare some time ago and you were unwell a while ago....?

Tim.243
    Hi Tim. Yes, I have managed to quit completely, and you are quite right, the "scare" back in last november scared the a**e off me but to add that I am now having to go in on the 18th of November to have a few stents put in - And the biggest majority of this is down to smoking so I fully accept that it is "self inflicted" and that I have nothing to complain about!
    The wife still smokes but has cut down a hell of a lot and is looking to quit too in the very near future - I hope that she does and I will obviously give her all the support and encouragement that I can in her quest to quit!

Send her to the doctors and ask for champix they stopped me smoking. 80 a day for 50 years all the best
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Hi Tim. Yes, I have managed to quit completely, and you are quite right, the "scare" back in last november scared the a**e off me but to add that I am now having to go in on the 18th of November to have a few stents put in - And the biggest majority of this is down to smoking so I fully accept that it is "self inflicted" and that I have nothing to complain about!
    The wife still smokes but has cut down a hell of a lot and is looking to quit too in the very near future - I hope that she does and I will obviously give her all the support and encouragement that I can in her quest to quit!
    Last edited by african jack; 31-10-2014 at 10:59.

E-SIGS Cold turkey is the way to go ,in the usa they are becoming a problem in schools same will happen here

Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    Send her to the doctors and ask for champix they stopped me smoking. 80 a day for 50 years all the best

Champix can have some horrible side affects! they had serious effects on my wife with night terrors, severe weight loss and borderline depression, fortunately she stopped taking them and sought help, but it aint a wonder drug!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink