Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why floorplate mags?

why floorplate mags?

Most rifle afficionados seem to much prefer rifles with hinged floor plate magazines, rather than drop boxes.

My experience with them is that they are a royal pain in the ass. They're extremely good at dropping rounds all over the floor, and I think they're more dangerous - in that with a drop box, you can just drop the mag and be sure the rifle is safe, while with a floorplate, you have to fool around sliding the bolt over the top ot the rounds.

So why do the cognoscenti prefer floorplates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Most rifle afficionados seem to much prefer rifles with hinged floor plate magazines, rather than drop boxes.

My experience with them is that they are a royal pain in the ass. They're extremely good at dropping rounds all over the floor, and I think they're more dangerous - in that with a drop box, you can just drop the mag and be sure the rifle is safe, while with a floorplate, you have to fool around sliding the bolt over the top ot the rounds.

So why do the cognoscenti prefer floorplates?
    I only put in 2 rounds in my 700 so only 1 to pick up lol...not a lot different than loading a shot gun while watching birds coming in....or re loading it on a duck flight in the dusk...
    Saw one fox last night so just put in one round...dead fox
    Also you cant drop a floor plate in the mud only a round, how long would it take to clean your muddy mag...

Tim.243

Not sure about that. That cognoscenti prefer floorplate magazines, I mean. The rifles that are the most dissected in terms of their technical features are Dangerous Game rifles - for an obvious reason, if they fail you get killed. It so happens that most actions suitable for DG rifles are Mauser 98 and their derivatives, which by design are floorplate magazine actions.

The need to pay particular attention to the floorplate latch and to its utter reliability for a DG rifle is always emphasized, and a well-made one will never open on its own.

If a detachable magazine is used, it has to be a double-stack (so you can reload a round from the top without removing the magazine), and it also needs to have a 100% reliable latch.

Sako has excellent rifles which have good DG features, and they have detachable magazines - double stack, very secure latch.

So, in the end, I think it's a preference for a type of action, and not for the floorplate itself.

I have several floorplate actions and I can't think of a single occasion when it has opened by accident or otherwise as planned
    They serve a purpose, reduce component parts, tend to be very smooth feed and emptying the rifle is no big deal really

I have one that has the old military button mechanism which I can honestly say has never been opened since i reblued and fitted it
    ammo goes in the top
    ammo come out of the top

have a magazine fed BRNO and other rimfires with magazine and I have experienced first hand the ballache of leaving a mag behind or bringing the wrong bloody one!
    now the BRNO is a controlled feed mini mauser action.
    You try loading it without the mag! ballache!

I've never forgotten a floor plate mag and left it in the cabinet or on the roof of the truck.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Mungo,

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Every time I use a detacheable magazine rifle I am very conscious of the mage falling out, and I have had magazines falling out whilst carrying and have seen it happen to friends of mine and have seen them cursing when they have lost them and have to go and buy a new one - they are not cheap.

Most detachable mags I have used don't seem to seat properly if pushed into the rifle with the bolt closed.

With a top loading fixed mag it easy enough to depress the cartridges with your free hand and close the bolt so that you have full mag but chamber empty - and you visually checking this to be the case as you are doing.

Emptying the rifle is easy enough. I am not even sure you need a dropping floorplate - I have used rifles with a blind magazine and actually is no effort to feed out the round one at a time.

Many magazine only rifles have too small an ejection port to allow top loading, single shot loading or depressing rounds.

But actually like everything in life there are plenty of different ways to skin a cat and you soon get used to a way of doing things.

Much more of a problem to me is that the vast majority of rifles have their bolt handle on the wrong side - but that's another issue entirely.

I much prefer a hinged floor plate than a mag, can't lose or forget a hinged floor plate as it's always attached to the rifle. Never had any of mine open by themselves but I have had mags drop out of rifles. Mags tend to need dropping out of the rifle to be reloaded, my rifles can be top loaded easily with no fuss. Sako rifles can be top loaded with the mag in place but it's Sako mags that I have had drop out by themselves.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have several floorplate actions and I can't think of a single occasion when it has opened by accident or otherwise as planned
    They serve a purpose, reduce component parts, tend to be very smooth feed and emptying the rifle is no big deal really

I have one that has the old military button mechanism which I can honestly say has never been opened since i reblued and fitted it
    ammo goes in the top
    ammo come out of the top

have a magazine fed BRNO and other rimfires with magazine and I have experienced first hand the ballache of leaving a mag behind or bringing the wrong bloody one!
    now the BRNO is a controlled feed mini mauser action.
    You try loading it without the mag! ballache!
    I'm with you on this one. I have dozens of hinged floorplate rifles and never had one fall open, and that includes 375 H&H and 45-70. Additionally, in their favor, they offer graceful lines to custom rifles. Nothing ruins the lines of a fine classic rifle than a detachable magazine.~Muir

Never had a hinged floor plate fall open, I can drop the plate and catch the rounds in my hand no need for them to end up on the ground, the only advantage I can see for a detachable mag is on a big hind cull for example when having a spare mag could could speed up reloading.

Or fighting a war, that's where detachable magazines come into their own. I'm a fan of hinged floorplates too and have never had one open on me accidentally.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.