Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irrelivant questions for LEV and LEV2

Irrelivant questions for LEV and LEV2

I was doing a Lev two Portfolio and asked the question was the Animal acting in a normal manner. Then I thought is this question really relevant and why bother with it at all.

????

Well I guess he signed the tag saying he had observed it behaving in a normal manner so if he'd answered your question 'no' you'd have had something more to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I was doing a Lev two Portfolio and asked the question was the Animal acting in a normal manner. Then I thought is this question really relevant and why bother with it at all.

????
    I've been looking at animals for over fifty years. Sometimes deer or sheep or cattle aren't acting normally due to injury or ill health. A deer that is not moving about catches my attention. The last deer in the group/ herd moving off also gets my attention.

It's a good question.

Regards

JCS

Alex /Jcampbellsmith. I have also seen animals that are not in good health moving slow old and slightly lame shacking the head because of fly strike etc.But dose it really matter in the broader picture because and is there welfare issue or a risk to the food chain .I think not.????

Suppose its relevant in the sense that you are supposed to observe the state of the animal before taking the shot.

When you sign a tag for animal entering the food chain, you are signing that you have checked the animal for any sign of disease, and also that you observed the animal was behaving in a normal manner prior to the shot.

Even if all post mortem checks are OK any abnormal behaviour prior to the shot being taken should be noted either on the tag or to the AGHE

This is from the legislation as part of trained hunter status. As level 2 is not required to sell venison this appears to be a continuum. It gets you thinking, is this deer suitable to be taken and will it be fit to enter the food chain.

Alex /Jcampbellsmith. I have also seen animals that are not in good health moving slow old and slightly lame shacking the head because of fly strike etc.But dose it really matter in the broader picture because and is there welfare issue or a risk to the food chain .I think not.????
    If an animal is lame or is shaking its head due to a cause you can subsequently identify (e.g. like age/arthritis or fly strike in your example) and declare if necessary then I don't think this really counts as abnormal behaviour. I reckon the abnormal behaviour is to catch the rare occasions where you might observe a deer acting strange but find nothing apparently physically wrong with it. A deer shaking its head about which you find to be due to maggots in an ear is normal under the circumstances. Shaking its head for no apparent reason is not.

If it later turns out it had a disease or poisoning then there's a problem!

Alex

Yes Davie, but the point is you knew it was shaking its head because of a fly strike, if through experience you know the behaviour you are seeing will have no effect on the animal entering the food chain then you can make that decision.
    But not everyone may have that experience, any unusual behaviour that you don't understand needs to be recorded ,and so it should be.

Also the animals that you mention that are in poor health, well they should not be entering the food chain in any case, if you have any doubt at all it should not be entering the food chain.

The old days of sending any old carcase to the dealers, and letting them condemn anything that they thought unfit
    are past.

Now you are signing a tag stating that you have done the checks and in your opinion its fit to enter the food chain
    we should all be taking pride in what we produce.

The checks include behaviour prior to the shot, experience will tell you what is normal and what is not, and it becomes second nature, with experience you don't even think about it you instinctively know whats healthy and whats not, not everyone has that experience its something you can learn from time spent in the field observing deer you can't really learn it from a book.

So yes the question is relevant.

Every animal that passes through a slaughterhouse is examined by a vet or meat inspector ante-mortem to ensure it is fit and healthy and fit to enter the food chain. It is a critical part in protecting food safety.

I've been to a local auction mart today to examine and then shoot a bull with a broken leg. By law there has to be a vet examination.

Your level one confers a lot of responsibility based on a MCQ test. This is something everyone with level 1 MUST realise.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I think that why this question is asked in level 2 is to discover whether the candidate can appreciate the significance of a deer behaving abnormally. eg health issues that would preclude the carcase from entering the food chain.

atb Tim