Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought Lyman / Ohaus scales for 19 delivered.

Just bought Lyman / Ohaus scales for 19 delivered.

Here: Mechanical Chemical Balance Rcbs Reloading Lab Scales 100g Lyman Hunting New Box | eBay

No connection with the seller, just passing on info.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Although these are basically good scales - you must be aware that they weigh in grams. Not an insurmountable problem but it needs some thinking about.

The way to use these effectively is to use them as a "weight comparator" - Sort your regular load out with your cheap digital scales and make a check weight to that exact amount. Place the check weight in the pan of your new scales and adjust the scale to "zero" with that weight.

Now every charge you "weigh" will be exactly the same (same as your check weight) it will just read some meaningless figure on the scale arm.

or you could do the sums: .1gram = 1.543 grains.

Don't get me wrong, they are good scales - the beam is exactly the same as the up-market 10/10 scale, they are interchangeable. I sometime buy these scales to break up and use for spare parts.

See here:

are they 1/10 grain accurate? I got the impression they are not as I've been looking at them for a while. They are also on Gumtree.

i bought a set of these thinking they measured in grains, not really practical for reloading, shame as they are very well made,

All my reloading authorities give charge weights in grains and grams. I have no difficulty in converting between the two. A grain is one 1/7000 of a pound and a gram is 1/1000 of a kilogram. The conversion factor is 15.4323584 (grains in a gram) and there is a plethora of online calculators.

In any case, I bought these particular scales for batching cast bullets and cartridge case weights.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

So glad you talked bout this Charadam because I was tempted by them myself and now we are clear on what they can an can not do.

SD Regular
    I don't see what the issue would be with metric only reloading as my Vihtavouri manuals all give charge weights in grams (as well as grains). These look like the RCBS 304 scales that I have that are in grains but my only concern would be that they don't have a powder pan included with them. But on a closer look they are not at all the same. And that is where I begin to have doubts.

However they are a bargain price that is sure. Do I like mixing metric units with imperial units? Other than buying a two metre length of 4" x 2" timber? Ha, ha! Well not really. But other than a scale pan they seem good value to me if you want to use them as metric scales and without a powder pan.

My concern would be that they may not in fact work correctly with a powder pan added. Ohaus could be contacted I am sure to supply an answer to this.

My RCBS 304 may look the same but the they have TWO hanging points for the powder pan and its hanger. One to use when using them both and the other for a different purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I don't see what the issue would be with metric only reloading as my Vihtavouri manuals all give charge weights in grams (as well as grains). These look like the RCBS 304 scales that I have that are in grains but my only concern would be that they don't have a powder pan included with them. But on a closer look they are not at all the same. And that is where I begin to have doubts.

However they are a bargain price that is sure. Do I like mixing metric units with imperial units? Other than buying a two metre length of 4" x 2" timber? Ha, ha! Well not really. But other than a scale pan they seem good value to me if you want to use them as metric scales and without a powder pan.

My concern would be that they may not in fact work correctly with a powder pan added. Ohaus could be contacted I am sure to supply an answer to this.

My RCBS 304 may look the same but the they have TWO hanging points for the powder pan and its hanger. One to use when using them both and the other for a different purpose.
    Although these scales are of a similar layout to the excellent RCBS 304 they are nothing like the same. The 304 is a physically a much larger and higher quality scale, standing around 12" tall, the scales being advertised stand only about 6" tall.

To add a powder pan to these scales will involve some modification, you will need to add weight to the beam arm to compensate for the weight of the new pan, the zeroing adjustment can only compensate for a couple of grains.

I understand these scales were issued for use with the Open Uni chemistry course.

These are the knife edges use on the advertised scales, machined out of a 1/8" steel rod.

These are he knife edges used on the RBCS 304 (also the Dial-o-gram and Cent-o-gram scales) machined out of a much sturdier 1/4" triangular section.

I have always found it odd that VV , or anyone, would list weights of powder in grams. It is a much coarser measurement than grains and most (if not all) reloading powder scales are made to read in grains and parts thereof. I have always recommended that the only people who should use gram (laboratory) scales are those who can't afford, beg, borrow, or steal a grain scale. For those people, the stiff thin paper liners for cup-cake pans makes an adequate powder pan that can usually be accounted for by the tare offset.~Muir