Some lovely Irish Goats (and some odd English stalkers)

Adamant

Now that I've finally worked out how to attach pictures, here are the Billy goats that Gadget and I caught up with on a Tipperary mountainside a couple of weeks ago...(his is bigger but mine's prettier!). The full story's in the Articles section if anyone is interested. Just be thankful the pictures aren't scratch and sniff!

Adam.

IrishBillygoat.jpg

TrevorAdam036.jpg

Bloody foul things...approach from down wind and you're practically gagging.

Used to shoot a few on bahalf of a farmer who got no end of grief from them. Deal was i shot them and he dragged them on his quad to the pit.

Can be hard and testing to stalk..but what do you do with the carcass afterwards? I doubt even the dogs would eat some.

I didn't think the smell was all that bad - certainly better than domestic billy goats. Mind you, I've got teenage sons, so perhaps I'm already aclimatised to the stink.

As for eating them, Australia is now the world's largest exporter of wild goat meat, culled from their unending feral goat population, all of which goes to various West Indian / Afro-Carribean populations around the world. I wouldn't even have attempted to eat the old fellow I shot (I found a discreet place to leave the skinned carcass for the foxes and ravens) but I've eaten goat meat from younger animals and it just tastes like mutton.

They're good fun to stalk though!

Adam.

Good looking goats

Some game dealers will take them , we used to live capture as well and they would all go to the halal slaughter house in Glasgow.

I've eaten young ones, we would marinade then bbq, after a few beers it tasted ok.

As for adults, no way, I can't even go in a room with goats cheese in it now, stinking brutes .

Superb......and that is some very lovely countryside.

Surely they can't taste that bad.......a long, slow and low cook would sort them out....Wouldn't it ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Isn't it traditional to curry them? :confused:

I can see why if they niff that bad! :D

nice one terry lol, one day you might find it easier to go stalking when your not holding someones hand i did (LOL)

Last edited:
Nice looking animals (the goats, not the fellas...)

Best way to cook goat:
Put in a pan with a brick, boil for 2 days, throw goat away and eat the brick.:lol:

Trevor & I are gradually learning to stalk apart occasionally ;) but the simple truth is, I think - and I'm sure Trevor will agree - that together we stalk / kill more beasts (as I think the Gadget World Tour photos on the Forum homepage show!), cover more miles, have more hunting opportunities and have more fun doing so than we would on our own.

Mind you, we like to stay within yodelling distance on the mountain...

Adam.

Shot a lot of them years ago on a Hebridean Island[cull job] as for eating them tried it once never again, though some of the islanders would eat them. used to be a market for the skins dont know if there still is.

A word of warning the trophy, I would advise against putting it up in the house, when ever the temprature rises the bloody thing starts to stink [ got one up in the beaters lunch hut on a local shoot been up for ten years still stinks]

Back