Halloween themed thread..

Wills

Evening all,

so it's Halloween and in the spirit(!) of the day, what's the weirdest or creepiest thing you have seen whilst out fishing, stalking etc?

Me.. Nothing to **** me up, just mind playing tricks when dusk occasionally.

cheers

I will admit to getting the odd case of the heeby jeebies out at night foxing on my own...

Last edited:
Stalking through a wood one night trying to catch something out with the lamp in the field the other side of the wood when the wood erupted behind me , i spun around and put the lamp on expecting a fully grown grizzly bear to be knocking tree's down to get to me and nothing was moving but the noise of something large continued away down the wood .
Totally shaken i made my way quickly to the car and once i was on the road i laughed at myself , i wasn't big game hunting in africe or canada , i was rabbit hunting in ayrshire .
Never did find out what made the noise

This a Guy Fawkes one...sorry,a bit off topic.
Setting light to the blue touch paper on some fireworks at my daughter's Brownie group display then realising that a gate had not been closed off and there was an old folks meeting at the hall that night.
There was some high speed hirpling going on when they realised.

As if that wasn't enough,a rocket went awol and smacked into the church wall right between two tall windows.
Nobody hurt and never again re fireworks.
ps... the Brownie's thought it was great,never had such fun at a display.

Biggest scare I got lamping was a pair of eyes in the beam quite near me.
The eyes got up and up and...it was a horse lying in the field that I didn't know about.
Haven't lamped since.

Last edited:
Whilst sitting up a high seat waiting for a fox with night vision, with the caller out in the field.
I felt something touch my head, first thoughts were it was some leaves falling from the tree above. Then I felt the talons gripping into my skull, a tawny owl must have heard the calls and came to investigate and alighted on my head.
Not sure who was more spooked, I crapped myself and nearly jumped out the high seat.

One that always sticks in my mind although probably about 20 years ago now.
Early morning had parked the car at the bottom of a single track leading upto the farm. Hawthorn hedge on both sides about 18"-24" above head height, large pond on one side and a field that dropped away on the other so neither could be seen over the hedge. There was just that hint that dawn was about to brake as I walked up the track when a barn owl came over the edge from the pond side, dipped in the middle and over the edge on the field side. As it dipped it was right in front of my face no more than 3' away and not a sound.
Almost filled my underpants.
Wingy

Wound up a workmate by telling him about big cat sightings in the area
He was spending the weekend at a country house and had to go outside for a smoke
He didn't smoke when it was dark

This a Guy Fawkes one...sorry,a bit off topic.
Setting light to the blue touch paper on some fireworks at my daughter's Brownie group display then realising that a gate had not been closed off and there was an old folks meeting at the hall that night.
There was some high speed hirpling going on when they realised.

As if that wasn't enough,a rocket went awol and smacked into the church wall right between two tall windows.
Nobody hurt and never again re fireworks.
ps... the Brownie's thought it was great,never had such fun at a display.

Biggest scare I got lamping was a pair of eyes in the beam quite near me.
The eyes got up and up and...it was a horse lying in the field that I didn't know about.
Haven't lamped since.

Hi, same thing happened to me many years ago when I knew jack poo, except that in my case it was an old Ewe on her own that got out into a stubble field, she lay there in the middle contentedly chewing the cud, I "saw eyes" but for some reason (didn't look right) I did not shoot and drove closer and closer until I could make out that it was a b@oody sheep.

Ever since then I will not shoot at "eyes", which in any case we all know is plain just asking for trouble.

regards WB

Watching a Puma or Panther for half an hour just two miles from my release pens... Shocking!!

Back