Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload Wildcats

Quickload Wildcats

Can quickload be used to play around with wildcat cartridges, get drawings and the like for reamers, rough performance, pressures etc?

I've had a few of my own drawings but it'd be nice to see if they'd be worthwhile doing or not.

Yes,

but id suggest buying a copy of cartridges of the world or Pacific Tools Reamer print book, as your design will no doubt have been done before (don't take that the wrong way)

There are so many permutations of cartridges that its pretty likely anyway

Carrridges of the world is a good shout. I'm pretty sure that most of mine will be so close to others they'll be pointless. It's the remaining ones that have me interested. If they haven't been done i'd imagine it's due to pressure or another limiting factor.

Thanks for the help mate

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Carrridges of the world is a good shout. I'm pretty sure that most of mine will be so close to others they'll be pointless. It's the remaining ones that have me interested. If they haven't been done i'd imagine it's due to pressure or another limiting factor.

Thanks for the help mate
    It's hard to come up with a wild cat that hasn't been tried, or for which there isn't a factory round that delivers the same performance. About all people do these days -unless they are in the sub caliber group of experimenters- is change a shoulder angle a little or shorten the case to make it more efficient. (an argument that is seldom applied to comparisons of cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag and 280 Remington, btw)

I have mentioned this before but years back a customer of mine came into my shop with an idea for a 30-284. He'd run the figures through a Powley Ballistic Computer (think Quickload of the 1960's) and he concluded it would be the perfect cartridge for hunting and target shooting lying smack between the 30-06 and 308 with a power level closer to the 30-06 but applicable to a short action rifle. He was really charged up until I handed him a 7.5x55 Swiss case that I'd made by necking up a 284 to 30 caliber.

Short of drawing a new brass case of new basic dimensions and making it ridiculously huge like the 30 RUM or 'efficient' like the WSMs, you're probably walking down a well worn path when looking for a wildcat.~Muir

I agree wholeheartedly Muir! I have a cartridges of the world on its way to I can have a good look through and cancel off my list as I go.

I don't expect to have something new and revolutionary, just different would be nice. Optimised for use in a 12-15" barrel would be even nicer

I agree wholeheartedly Muir! I have a cartridges of the world on its way to I can have a good look through and cancel off my list as I go.

I don't expect to have something new and revolutionary, just different would be nice. Optimised for use in a 12-15" barrel would be even nicer
    Look at a 308x1.5. I used to built bolt action pistols in that chambering for 200M comps. Nice little round if you have a gun that will feed it.~Muir

Cheers Muir. That's exactly what id be building. I'll look into it. 30br seems a good choice aswell

Cheers Muir. That's exactly what id be building. I'll look into it. 30br seems a good choice aswell
    Good choice. I hunted extensively in New Mexico with a 7mmBR, Remington XP-100 handgun. Inch and a quarter at 200M with a 2.5X scope. I took a coyote "on the lope" at 250 yards once using it. 150 yard jackrabbits were no contest.~Muir

Groups like that would see me good I want to start out by re chambering a standard barrel off the donor action. So 30br would be based on a 308. The twist may be a little fast mind
    The other option is a 6br based on a 243 which would work nicely I thibk

I'm trying to find a common name for a .25x220 swift. Any ideas?