Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding deer

Feeding deer

Hi all been a while I know.
    I am thinking of setting up a couple of feeding spots in the woods so I can set up my trail cam and really get a feel for what I'm missing I spend a lot of time with the bino's but can't help feeling I'm missing something... So what is the best way to feed them ? Also I must add I intend not too shoot them at these spots there just for feeding and cam pics thanks again mike. P.s it's for fallow, roe and muntjac thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Motomooch View Post
    Hi all been a while I know.
    I am thinking of setting up a couple of feeding spots in the woods so I can set up my trail cam and really get a feel for what I'm missing I spend a lot of time with the bino's but can't help feeling I'm missing something... So what is the best way to feed them ? Also I must add I intend not too shoot them at these spots there just for feeding and cam pics thanks again mike. P.s it's for fallow, roe and muntjac thanks again
    If any grants have been given out for woodland managment, planting . SSSI .The attracting of deer to these areas with feed or licks . Could cause the grants to be paid back in full by the landowner
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Thank you duely noted but I think I'm ok no grants or schemes on farm

there is a train of thought that says feeding deer into an area can lead to them passing disease on to each other through saliver , urine and droppings were their feeding closer than usual and maybe sharing the sight with badgers and such where grain is used

When I fed for my camera it was just a big sack of barley poured out along a fallen tree trunk, worked almost like a trough. I only used this to attract deer to my game camera and see what numbers were in the area etc.

Got some lovely footage especially of young fallow tagging along with mum. I also found any mixed wheat / corn did the job once they were coming in. I was thinking of getting a drum feeder and maybe an auto dispenser and suspending it but never got around to it as moved away to uni.

Also attracted my fair share of squizzers which would have been a bit of fun with my 22LR. The one time I took the 22lr down for a mooch for them I crossed 4 fallow does a week after they were in season lol on the opposite side of the land, couldn't help but laugh at myself for that

Many estates feed rumevite blocks to the deer in the winter. Some deer like them and some dont. It was only ever reds we put them out for so not sure if other species will take them or not.
    Im sure they will be available from your local animal feed store.
    Good luck.

If you have a lot of cover you will miss seeing deer.
    A trail cam is a good way of seeing how many deer are on the ground.
    You can put them on well worn trails, over a salt lick, a bag of apples.
    Automatic pheasant feeders attract deer during the night. and foxes and badgers

Well there`s at LEAST three muntjac here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0021.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	48958

three here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-07-25-14h39m32s207.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	849.9 KB 
ID:	48959
    Last edited by badbob; 09-11-2014 at 20:37.

I was gonna start a seperate thread but seeing as this was already ongoing I'll ask here. Anyone ever tried putting smahed up pumpkin out to see if deer like it? I have a few from halloween and thought about trying it in front of my trailcam but don't want to do them harm,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I was gonna start a seperate thread but seeing as this was already ongoing I'll ask here. Anyone ever tried putting smahed up pumpkin out to see if deer like it? I have a few from halloween and thought about trying it in front of my trailcam but don't want to do them harm,
    Now there's a question that it would have been good to know the answer to last week, as Sainsburys had all pumpkins reduced to clear at 10p each!

Annoyed now that I didn't think of it then.