Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cad number for shoot or cull etc

Cad number for shoot or cull etc

Hi guys

just had two cad numbers for today with Surrey police for rabbit culls, all as normal, until I E mailed back to advise the culls are complete and leaving site.

got the usual thank you for letting us know, will amend cad. AND. Also from today you must supply full details of the owner and a contact phone number. ???????

chap I know also in Surrey had this today as well. ?

anyone else had this

As far as I am aware it us not a requirement to gain a cad number prior to going out unless it is in a footpath or road vicinity or areas of high risk

any thoughts

phil

Established Poster
    It is nearly always not a requirement to inform the police, so simply don't bother...The exception obviously being places where it is required as part of the lease/job - Airports, Civil Nuclear etc.

We have a field which is bordered by the river on one side and main road and houses on the other. Don't use any firearms in this field but allow a guy to shoot the rabbits with his air rifle so long as he shoots away from the road but the Police still insist that we contact them and let them know when we will be shooting in this field so a log can be raised to prevent firearms officers being called out when someone from the houses reports seeing someone with a gun.
    The last time the chap forgot to phone the Police they ended up grabbing him as he went through the gate and he had to contact me to talk with the Police.

Apparently some woman had phoned the Police stating that she wanted to walk her dogs over the field but couldn't because someone was sat in the field with a gun so I advised the officer that he needed to now inform the woman that there was no public access in the field and she was indeed trespassing but I don't think that interested him.
    I know its not a legal requirement but it just saves all the hassle from the Police and worse than that it could be the farmer getting knocked out of bed in the early hours which he would not like.

Hi EF
    just got a return call from surrey police

They have found and read my e mail and the response from HQ. Apparently they are not aware of any changes in the requirements for a cad request and asked if I can continue as normal ?

i always request a cad on every outing wherever I will be to make sure all who should know will know, to smooth the rough edges in the event of a complaint.

cheers

phil

Unless there really is some pressing need I categorical refuse to start doing this.
    I can see the rationale and thinking behind it but to my mind it causes more hassle than it prevents.

Once you call in and create a CAD (for doing something complete legal) that CAD sits there until resulted.
    If it dosnt get resulted then they need to start looking for a result, whether that be phoning you or indeed the land owner, or sending out a car to make sure you haven't shot yourself.

And incidentally, should a call be received about someone with a gun, they will most likely send someone out anyway. Therefore to my mind it serves little purpose other than to add a little more bureaucratic nonsense.

Until it becomes a legal requirement, you can count me out.
    Last edited by Cadex; 02-11-2014 at 01:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Unless there really is some pressing need I categorical refuse to start doing this.
    I can see the rationale and thinking behind it but to my mind it causes more hassle than it prevents.

Once you call in and create a CAD (for doing something complete legal) that CAD sits there until resulted.
    If it dosnt get resulted then they need to start looking for a result, whether that be phoning you or indeed the land owner, or sending out a car to make sure you haven't shot yourself.

And incidentally, should a call be received about someone with a gun, they will most likely send someone out anyway. Therefore to my mind it serves little purpose other than to add a little more bureaucratic nonsense.

Hi Cadex

just got a reply from my e mail

" it states that to make the cull undertaken to be LAWFUL the marksman must supply all the details of the cull" which includes the true contact details and contact address of the owner to enable them to be able them to check as required at any time

i have replied asking for the criterior required now, to have to apply and or the specific areas whereupon You do not need to apply for a cad number.

at the moment this " as far as I am aware only Surrey police" are implementing this requirement

cheers

phil
    Last edited by philip; 02-11-2014 at 02:04.

We used to inform every time we went out lamping until one night we finished phoned in told the police we had finished then got a phone call at three in the morning to ask if we were still out and if we were shootin 30 miles from where we stated.Not good after creeping back in without waking anyone

Philip, isn't this the sort of thing that BASC need to be made aware of? It sounds like 'your' police force have started to make up their own rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post

Totally agree with this.

I don't have to phone the police to tell them I am going to undertake any other lawful activity.

Phillip. Where has this requirement come from? Is it a condition on your FAC? Is it some sort of written requirement of the land you shoot
    ? Or have Surrey police simply started to take the piss out of your good will?

Are you a member of BASC or NGO etc.? Maybe ask one of their legal bods for a clarification, in my opinion this is the sort of thing that should be nipped in the bud before it becomes a monster.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It is another good example of why you should not phone the police before you go out.
    They now think it is normal and have started to add extra things. They will undoubtedly present there case that this should be procedure and everybody should do it, and that as people are doing it without complaint then it must be okay with us.
    If a police officer grabbed me whilst walking in a field with a gun I'd tell him to take his hands off me or I'd lodge a complaint of assault. I'd then ask him what crime he believes is being or about to be commited.
    As shooters we take enough rubbish without making things more difficult for ourselves.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama