Thread: Unknown swollen glands in neck of fallow ?

Unknown swollen glands in neck of fallow ?

We shot a young fallow buck yesterday morning who looked healthy and was on the edge of a group . Seemed no cause for concern until the gralloch . All internal organs seemed ok to us and we cut and spread the contents over these as we would normally but when we removed the head there were two small glands about 1" ish size rear of the cut . Not seen this before and when taken out and cut contained a almost cream like fluid inside , didn't smell though the buck was a bit musky . We checked the lymph nodes and these were normal size and the cream grey mushroom colour you would expect . Seemed to be no other noticeable points albeit the only one comment we felt was the internal fillets did seem a little lighter in colour , almost veal like , not a kid of a buck , had about 14-15 " of reasonable antler with short tines . Would appreciatte any comments . It's in chiller now but going no furthur at present . Thanks for looking , cheers

I would have to suggest that you submit the carcass and gralloch to your local VI Centre as a possible TB.

ps don't go sniffing pus!! You may get more than you bargained for!!
    Last edited by srvet; 02-11-2014 at 10:24.

On the information given here, I have to agree with seņor vet. I would treat inflamed, pussy lymph glands in the head or neck as TB. Did you take a photo? Out of intrest Do you know which glands you checked? Was it the retro pharangeals or the submaxillarys (spelling?) that were pussy? I am assuming from your description it was the submaxilliarys but if the retro-pharangeal glands were swollen I reckon you would see them after cutting the head off without manipulating them.

Any lung lesions, did you check lung nodes?

I would still ring your local centre who's name has changed again (was Animal Health, then Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency) now the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

You can find the number here:

Office access and opening times - Animal and Plant Health Agency - GOV.UK

There should always be a vet on duty, but have a pen handy as you may have to write down and re dial.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Any lung lesions, did you check lung nodes?

I would still ring your local centre who's name has changed again (was Animal Health, then Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency) now the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

You can find the number here:

Office access and opening times - Animal and Plant Health Agency - GOV.UK

There should always be a vet on duty, but have a pen handy as you may have to write down and re dial.
    Now that is a good reply

Thanks to all for the thoro. info , I've passed on and I u.stand has been sorted . If happen to get any additional feed back I'll try and let you know , ta

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Thanks to all for the thoro. info , I've passed on and I u.stand has been sorted . If happen to get any additional feed back I'll try and let you know , ta
    We look forward to the feed back, knowing how long the labs take it should be around April 2015!
    Cheers
    Richard

This may be a form of what is called in Sheep farming as 'Cheesy Gland' or more properly caseous lymphadenitis. It is a bacterial infection of sheep and goats, but is likely to be found in other herbivores, although not necessarily caused by the same agent. One major cause is C. pseudotuberculosis. Not TB but infectious to animals.

Although CLA affects a variety of mammals, it is very rare in deer. The lesions described are more likely to be TB. Senor vet is correct - don't sniff pus!