Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doveridge Gunshop - UNPROFESSIONAL

SD Regular

Doveridge Gunshop - UNPROFESSIONAL

I sent an e-mail to Doveridge Gunshop about a gun they had listed. I called the guy, Matt Morgan, at 1015am Sunday. Asked him to describe the gun. Told him that I was interested and that I'd be setting off from Leicester, that morning, to come and see it. If I wanted it was he ok with a debit or credit card to pay. He says OK.

Just going out the door at 10.40am and get a call from him. Just to let you know I had it on the table in the shop and a guy has just walked in and bought it. I hope that you haven't yet set off.

I told him that I wasn't happy and that it was very unprofessional as I had just started to set off. To which he said well you hadn't said that you definitely wanted it and you could have left a deposit on it when you called!

Unbelievable!

Actually, to be fair he did the right thing. You were going to see it with no firm commitment to buy and real risk to him that you might not buy it if you decided against it. Someone else comes in and pays there and then. Easy decision.

He did the right thing for himself and actually for you, in calling you to save you a journey.
    Think about the scenario if it had been a motor car that was advertised in the paper and you have someone coming to look , and then someone else turns up and pays cash. I suspect most people would take the cash from a firm buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    Actually, to be fair he did the right thing. You were going to see it with no firm commitment to buy and real risk to him that you might not buy it if you decided against it. Someone else comes in and pays there and then. Easy decision.

He did the right thing for himself and actually for you, in calling you to save you a journey.
    Think about the scenario if it had been a motor car that was advertised in the paper and you have someone coming to look , and then someone else turns up and pays cash. I suspect most people would take the cash from a firm buyer.
    Sorry, but I have to agree with biffo... I think it was professional & courteous to call. I'm sure there are many that wouldn't have bothered!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

seams perfectly reasonable to me!

Bird in the hand is as good as two in the bush

And how was he unprofessional exactly??

That would make you annoyed and frustrated that you lost the chance of buying it, which is reasonable. But I have to agree with those above that he has done nothing wrong.

You told him you were interested, but from what you say you didn't make an arrangement for him to hold it for you. Even so, he called and saved you a wasted journey. I'd have been disappointed, but would thank him.

SD Regular
    And how was he unprofessional exactly?
    As he had my number the very least would have been to call and say that someone else had seen it and that would I confirm that I was coming that very morning as I was.

What if I was in my car and, as I do, turn off my mobile or do not answer it? Five minutes later and I would have been. I did ask him to hold it until I got there to look at it. I don't expect to be then asked for a deposit on it for that to be done.

When you travel to buy cartridges and the shop says that they are in stock do you then, if you say for them to hold on to them, expect them to ask for a deposit from you? This was a secondhand£225 gun not a Beretta of whatever costing thousands.

Sorry i can't see what the guy has done wrong !! you should have stuck a fiver holding depo on your card , i bet you will next time. i'am not being nasty towards anyone so please don't feel pissed at me.

SD Regular
    Not pissed at anyone on here. Just not a way of dealing with a customer that I would ever do to anybody if I listed an item on here.