Quickload data for .270 load

provider

Hi all

Would it be possible for someone to run some details of a load for me through your Quickload programme (or similar) and let me know the resulting velocity.

Hornady .277 130gr SP Interlock #2730
52.5 gr Hodgdon H4350
Federal 210 primer
Norma brass
C.O.L 3.180"
Sako 85 20" barrel

Thank you in advance.

Prov

Last edited:
Hi all

Would it be possible for someone to run some details of a load for me through your Quickload programme (or similar) and let me know the resulting velocity.

Hornady .277 130gr SP Interlock #2730
52.5 gr Hodgdon H4350
Federal 210 primer
Norma brass
C.O.L 3.180"
Sako 85 20" barrel

Thank you in advance.

Prov

prov to get a acurate ish speed you need to measure the h20/water capacity of the case

Hi 223

what is the volume measured in (mm ? mm3 ?) and how would it be best to do this ?

get a case and full length size it

then put a primer into the case (so the water does not run out the hole)

gently pour water into case till full completely level with neck of case

then pour water into reloading scale pan and measure the water capacity in grains, and that will give you the internal capacity in grains of that make of case

do that then pm me and i will enter it all for you

Dave

I get 2713fps out of a 20 inch tikka t3 sporter, 55 grains of H4350, using barnes 130 grain tsx, 30 thou off the lands, that's max load in barnes manual but there are no pressure signs, and very accurate

Thanks Muir forgot to add 20" barrel so that will drop the velocity a bit I think.

So deduct about 35 fpr per inch. That would put you in the high 2700's. The very best thing is to go in on with a few guys -even members of this site? and group buy a CHRONY chronograph. get together or mail it to one another. Beats all the trouble of coming to an educated guess... which is what Quick Load and supplied loading data is. It almost never matches your gun exactly.~Muir

get a case and full length size it

then put a primer into the case (so the water does not run out the hole)

gently pour water into case till full completely level with neck of case

then pour water into reloading scale pan and measure the water capacity in grains, and that will give you the internal capacity in grains of that make of case

I've never had to do this, but would a significant bit of water not remain wetting the inside of the case?

Might it be better, having prepped the case as you suggest, to weigh it and note the weight, fill it with water and then weigh it full of water? The true water capacity would then be the difference between the two weights.

Once again Dalua I am in agreement with you as regards measuring the water capacity of the case.

Not entirely knocking quickload as no doubt it can be a very useful guide but it seems like a lot of trouble for only a computer projection or guesstimate. As Muir says only a chronagraph will tell you what velocity the load will actually achieve out of your rifle.

If you get a chronograph, you will probably find that this same load will move the 150-gr bullet at about the same velocity, 2,725 fps, from a 20-inch carbine. I would be curious as to what Quickload says.

Back