need a scope for the .308

jamesbilling

hey all, need a scope for my .308. i have about 600 - 700 to spend, been looking at the zeiss duralyt 3 -12 x 50 any other opinions?

zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 ill 60 rec , thats what ive got on my 308 cracking scope , save the extra couple of hundard and go for the illuminated you wont regret it

zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 ill 60 rec , thats what ive got on my 308 cracking scope , save the extra couple of hundard and go for the illuminated you wont regret it

i can't rally see any point in spending out an extra 200 for a tiny red dot?

Got a Lightstream 5-20 x 50 illuminated mil dot reticle on mine
Previously on my .243 & my .223
Wingy

It depends what you want to do with it i.e woodland , hill etc

Variable
i i use a swaro z6i 2.5 x 15 x 56 ticks all the boxes low mag to high mag

or you could go fixed mag schmidt , swaro or zeiss

with what you have to spend you could buy most anything that will suite your needs

as for illumination this time of year i like a little dim dot if im shooting into woodland

i

You will definitely see the advantage of the little red dot if in dark woodland at last light. Optics are good enough to see target but reticule is invisible against something like a melanistic fallow or sika.

You will definitely see the advantage of the little red dot if in dark woodland at last light. Optics are good enough to see target but reticule is invisible against something like a melanistic fallow or sika.[/QUOT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Alright James mate, I've got a duralyt 3-12-50 on my 243, all you need really, I didn't see the point of a £200 dot either! You can have a look through mine in real situations in a couple of days time if you want?

3.5-10x40 leupold mark 4 , M3 turrets , illuminated. £600 ? it comes with a 308 bdc turret which matches the 165/8 grain projectiles extremely well.

i can't rally see any point in spending out an extra 200 for a tiny red dot?

Personally I agree with the above, I don't have access to a dog so personally wouldn't shoot something in those conditions as I'd probably never find it!

I went for for the new Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 with the ASV turret so I can play and practice out on targets too. Only had the chance to use it a little but so far it's been great. Scope is good in low light and the turret has nice strong clicks that are accurate and have matched the basic info I've put in Strelok. If you want a great stalking scope with the option of some easy dialling in then I think this ticks all boxes. Think it was £825 so a little over budget but well worth it.

6x42

As Markfox asked "What are you going to do with it"

Most people using a 308 can be more than adequately served by a 6X42 with a No. 1 reticle. Personnally I like the older Kahles ZF69 or one of the more recent versions. Most guys are not varmint hunting with a 308 so no need for the large size of the bigger variables, just makes the gun heaviers and more awkward to handle. This of course only applies to stalking rifles. :popcorn:

SS

I have an older Kahles ZF69 which came off my Steyr SSG-69. Old as it is, there is not much today which can beat it.

Why not get 2 scopes instead of an expensive, big, Jack-of-all scope?

I don't see the rifle make and model or the intended quarry and terrain, but I would look at a less expensive low power scope with an illuminated dot, if you felt you need one, because those would be closer shots, anyway. Try a really inexpensive Hawke 4x40 $100) to see how that works, or step up to a Bushnell illuminated 1.5-6x42...still under $250 USD.

Then get a really good 6x42 if you are hunting 200 to 300 yards. You could even go to a fixed 8x or a 10x40 Bushnell tactical Mil Dot, used by the US Army ($220 USD ).

The Leupold VX/R line is really sharp, with a nice red dot with about 9 brightness levels.

You could consider this scope. [h=3]Swarovski 8x50 Habicht (in optics classified section).[/h]
I feel its best to keep it simple, nothing to play with when the time comes. You would have cash to spare too... just a thought.
[h=3][/h]

well i have bought a sako 85 stainless laminate varmint fluted for deer foxes and the occasional boar, i just need a scope with a 30mm tube to fit the bill thats not going to cost me the earth and can and will do a decent job

If you're looking at scopes in less than the very top range then I wouldn't bother with illuminated either. When it's so dark that you cannot shoot without a red dot then you're not going to be able to see the animal with this glass anyway. The standard 4a reticule is perfectly visible on it's own. Variable is also very useful in dim light for identification purposes before taking the shot. Those antlers on yearling roe bucks can be hard to see. Therefore I recommend that you save the cost of illuminated and spend the extra on better glass and variable. Now if you're after that first/last 15 minutes of shooting when you need top glass you may well need illuminated too?

Regards

Baguio

Last edited:
Back