Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACPO suggest dropping "Mentoring"?

ACPO suggest dropping "Mentoring"?

I heard a rumour recently about the ACPO saying that the Mentoring condition for new FAC holders should be dropped. I don't know if this is right or not so has anyone else heard anything about it and if so do they have any details. (I've done a search on Google but can not find anything relating to it)
    Further to that, if they do drop the mentoring condition will the firearms departments quite simply get round it by adding on an "Accompanied by an experienced shooter" condition which (In my opinion) is basically Mentoring under a different label.

Talk about a mixed bag! ACPO launch their campaign against shooters (all the stuff about unannounced visits, the "crime hotline" for firearms issues), and then they suggest something eminently sensible.

If this is the case, then it's a good thing. The police should not be using conditions like that to limit a firearms users lawful use of their firearm. If they believe someone is unsafe to have a firearm then don't issue an FAC. If they believe you are safe then a mentoring condition is un-necessary and in many cases effectively obstructive!

It has been mentioned on the forum before, but you can get it straight from the horses mouth if you go on the ACPO FELWEG webpage.

The document you want is titled, "The Use of Conditions on Firearm Certificates Letter 30th April 2013"

http://www.acpo.police.uk/Profession...kingGroup.aspx

Lots of other interesting stuff on there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It has been mentioned on the forum before, but you can get it straight from the horses mouth if you go on the ACPO FELWEG webpage.

The document you want is titled, "The Use of Conditions on Firearm Certificates Letter 30th April 2013"

http://www.acpo.police.uk/Profession...kingGroup.aspx

Lots of other interesting stuff on there as well.
    Thanks for that information Orion - "The Use of Conditions on Firearm Certificates Letter 30th April 2013"

It is quite interesting reading and seems that someone at last is thinking things through and has started talking sense!

Avon & Somerset have already dropped it.

In Sussex when I applied I was granted a .243 for fox with no previous experience but now they won't grant a calibre as large as this unless the applicant has "suitable experience" of full bore rifles. DSC1 on its own is not considered "suitable experience" so short of going out with a mentor or accompanied stalks and using the estate rifle how would one gain the "suitable experience"?

You've read Catch 22?

Its not a good thing. They drop mentoring but insist you need experience.......but dont have any approves methods of gaining/proving experience!!
    Just another bit tighter on that noose!

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    In Sussex when I applied I was granted a .243 for fox with no previous experience but now they won't grant a calibre as large as this unless the applicant has "suitable experience" of full bore rifles. DSC1 on its own is not considered "suitable experience" so short of going out with a mentor or accompanied stalks and using the estate rifle how would one gain the "suitable experience"?

you shoot rimfire rifles for a while then, small centerfire, then deer cal

HO Guidelines says Experience isnt cal specific

as your asking for Fox with a deer legal cal try asking for a 17 centerfire

unless you want deer then ask for Deer

I have been told mentors or DSC1 is a minimum usually for Cheshire on initial grant even though I have recently shot many thousands of CF rounds in my job.

I think they should keep the mentoring section in place for areas but maybe ensure the mentors of up to standard before they get used?

I would quite happily mentor to help people out in the future but I have competencies etc from work to prove I'm at minimum standard for fire arms safety etc.