Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something a little less punchy?

Something a little less punchy?

Right chaps, after much searching I managed to find myself a brand new r93 with the last available new 25-06 barrel in the country ( or so I was told anyway). Before I got the blaser I did have a sako in the same calibre for a short while before that .243... Since I've had the 25-06 I've noticed there seems to be a bit more meat damage and a butcher friend also commented on one roe o took to him for sausages. Now I'm not talking messed up shot placement here, I thought it may be down to using ballistic tips ( tried three different types of ammo between the two rifles, finding one that suits not because of any carcass damage) but I mentioned to another friend that i was going to try soft points ad he said it was because of the calibre not the ammo?
    so my question is what would be the best calibre to cover all species in the uk and boar abroad that is less likely to cause to much damage?

regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

What weight bullet you using? Also, I'm guessing you don't handload, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    Right chaps, after much searching I managed to find myself a brand new r93 with the last available new 25-06 barrel in the country ( or so I was told anyway). Before I got the blaser I did have a sako in the same calibre for a short while before that .243... Since I've had the 25-06 I've noticed there seems to be a bit more meat damage and a butcher friend also commented on one roe o took to him for sausages. Now I'm not talking messed up shot placement here, I thought it may be down to using ballistic tips ( tried three different types of ammo between the two rifles, finding one that suits not because of any carcass damage) but I mentioned to another friend that i was going to try soft points ad he said it was because of the calibre not the ammo?
    so my question is what would be the best calibre to cover all species in the uk and boar abroad that is less likely to cause to much damage?

regards, Jez

Carcass damage is mostly about velocity (combined with bullet design). The difference in calibre between the 25/06 and say a 6.5 is barely measureable. On a chest shot Roe with a 25/06, you are going to get bloodshot meat.

If you are going to stick with the 25/06, go for the heaviest bullet you can get. If you hand load you can slow it down a bit.

To be honest, a 6.5x55 may be a better all-rounder for the UK stalker.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

No I don't hand load, don't think I have the patience and my fingers are too fat.... Between the sako and the blaser I have put federal 100gr bt, Winchester 95gr although these were soft points I didn't use many of them as they we're awful, looked like they had been dug out of the ground, and now I am using hornady 117gr sst..
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    No I don't hand load, don't think I have the patience and my fingers are too fat.... Between the sako and the blaser I have put federal 100gr bt, Winchester 95gr although these were soft points I didn't use many of them as they we're awful, looked like they had been dug out of the ground, and now I am using hornady 117gr sst..
    I'd go much bigger, straight to something equivalent to a 6.5 140gr
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I'd go much bigger, straight to something equivalent to a 6.5 140gr
    I've not come across any bullets for the 25.06 (257 cal) that are above 120 grain. I use 117 sierras but would fancy something bigger if available.

i would go heavy for caliber bullet if i could and steer clear of sst and nosler bt
    a good soft point bullet would be better
    i used to shoot 120gr nosler bt in my 6.5x55 and they were doing around 2900v and did make a mess of roe and muntjac
    out to 100yrds so changed to sierra pro hunters and lowered the v to 2700v and problem solved , dont get any runners either
    so as your using factory fodder i would keep to a heavy bullet ,in theory it should slow it down quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Carcass damage is mostly about velocity (combined with bullet design). The difference in calibre between the 25/06 and say a 6.5 is barely measureable. On a chest shot Roe with a 25/06, you are going to get bloodshot meat.

If you are going to stick with the 25/06, go for the heaviest bullet you can get. If you hand load you can slow it down a bit.

To be honest, a 6.5x55 may be a better all-rounder for the UK stalker.
    I agree with the above, however the most cost effective way of reducing meat damage is to use bonded core or monolithic bullets ( such as a barnes TSX) that will not fragment in the same way. If you reload then dropping the velocity will create a load virtually identical to a 6.5x55 without going to the expense of a new rifle.

I assume you are shooting game at less than 200 yards, with a cartridge designed for US Western mule deer and antelope at 200, 300 and 400 yards, where that Hornady will work so well.

Slow it down to .257 Roberts and 6.5x55 speeds like 2,700 fps and it will work up close.
    Or go to the Swift or TSX bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I've not come across any bullets for the 25.06 (257 cal) that are above 120 grain. I use 117 sierras but would fancy something bigger if available.
    Biggest I can see is 120gr Fusion. Great SP round, so worth a play
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)