Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms!

Mushrooms!

Landed on the mother load today, a bevy of boletes!Attachment 48705Attachment 48706
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Very nice. Pretty much all gone to rot here now.
    I did think youd bought a Jimny for a minute and tried getting four people in it.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

how do you know they are safe to eat?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Oh man! Fantastic! I thing that the more reddish one in the middle is actually a cep, which is a nice bonus.

I don't want to be a spoilsport but next time, it would be better to cut them as close as you can to the ground rather than pulling them up like that, as it tears up the mycelium. Over time, you can harm the organism that way, and then there are no ceps for anyone anymore...

Mainly though, bon appetit!

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    He tries them on the wife first
    Quad sticks

Or he has a copy of 'Rogers'. I believe theres now a 'rogers' app now too...very handy
    Quad sticks

They're easily recognisable, boletes are a great beginner's mushroom. The underside is formed like a sponge rather than a radial pattern. The family only has one properly toxic member, the aptly named Satan's bolete, that Nature in her great wisdom has made bright red. There's one called the bitter bolete which is very rare, although it looks the same, but apart from rendering your dinner inedible as its' name suggests, it's not dangerous. I cam across one once and it really ruined my meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Oh man! Fantastic! I thing that the more reddish one in the middle is actually a cep, which is a nice bonus.

I don't want to be a spoilsport but next time, it would be better to cut them as close as you can to the ground rather than pulling them up like that, as it tears up the mycelium. Over time, you can harm the organism that way, and then there are no ceps for anyone anymore...

Mainly though, bon appetit!
    Quite agree PM, but fear not, there were plenty left which were past their best, I was at work and just stumbled on them, no knife to hand to cut them with, can't believe I've never noticed them there before, I've only managed the bit of ground for 7 years!

As pine martin says, boletes are pretty fool proof, and a great safe bet for beginners, biggest problem is finding them, and getting to them before they get flyblown, I had to chuck a fair few of these, although the big ones look tempting, by the time they're that size they are more often than not magoty, although not entirely written off, they do require a bit more trimming....
    All these are now drying in the oven for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I don't want to be a spoilsport but next time, it would be better to cut them as close as you can to the ground rather than pulling them up like that, as it tears up the mycelium.
    Any excuse for a new knife!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.