Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for BASC - Sending firearms

One for BASC - Sending firearms

Haven't got my license on me so forgive lack of specific wording, but noticed something the other day on my new style firearms & shotgun cert following a renewal (not sure if the same wording was on the old one).

Section 3/4 of the new shotgun/firearms licence says the cert must be completed by the person or RFD selling the firearm, not the RFD who it's sent to...

Does this mean we now have to send our licences to the seller of the firearm to have it completed before we can lawfully collect a firearm we've had posted?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Haven't got my license on me so forgive lack of specific wording, but noticed something the other day on my new style firearms & shotgun cert following a renewal (not sure if the same wording was on the old one).

Section 3/4 of the new shotgun/firearms licence says the cert must be completed by the person or RFD selling the firearm, not the RFD who it's sent to...

Does this mean we now have to send our licences to the seller of the firearm to have it completed before we can lawfully collect a firearm we've had posted?

I just got my 243 last Monday on my brand new cert and the RFD who did the paperwork was the one I collected it from not the sender

ATB

Chasey

If you were selling it to Joe Bloggs 200 mls away going by RFD you would sell it to your RFD he would sell it to Joes RFD and he would sell it to Joe bloggs and Joe Bloggs would pay you.
    I have done this 3 times in the last month.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post

Yes. Noticed this gem on my new style certificate when I was having some bullets sent by RFD transfer a few months ago. I sent my certificate special delivery to the RFD doing the selling; they couldn't believe it either and kicked up a fuss telling me they'd check it out with their licensing authority. Certificate dropped through the front door all written up a couple of days later. They said the receiving RFD should sign the bullets over and this made sense but the wording on the cert is clear. It's your cert and your responsibility and I don't know about you but I like this sort of thing to be right with nothing to come back and bite my backside at renewal time.
    CH

Had this same issue last week and Im an rfd.
    Legally I cant even accept a deposit for a gun unless I have the buyers cert in hand.
    If I sell a gun to someone 200miles away they have to send me their cert, I fill it in and send back and send gun to their nominated rfd who then hands it over....but its absolutely ridiculous as I am filling in certs without ever seeing the holder so how do I know who it is??
    Also feo insists that I notify them of the purchaser and nothing else. How many of us have had the mrs/kids/anyone who is more tech savvy or has paypal or internet banking pay for an item for us? I know I have. So technically that is now illegal if its a gun!!!
    Im not at all convinced on the practicalities but have spoken to gwent licensing and basc and they both say thats the way it is.

Edd

So I and and 4 RFD'S have been breaking the law Woops, OH and the 2 before that.

I just had a though, Which is strange for me, the law says you can only sell a gun FACE TO FACE. so how do they work that.
    Last edited by sikadog; 03-11-2014 at 19:44.

Sale or transfer. You pay seller, he transfers to RFD A, he posts to RFD B (cos he's allowed to), then he transfers to you. Bingo, no laws broken, you get gun and the world continues to turn.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Thank god for that. or someone at least

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    If you were selling it to Joe Bloggs 200 mls away going by RFD you would sell it to your RFD he would sell it to Joes RFD and he would sell it to Joe bloggs and Joe Bloggs would pay you.
    I have done this 3 times in the last month.
    The rules haven't changed, and this ^^^^ is the standard way of getting around it (on paper, at least).