Plus 4's for stalking

David78b

Hi all are plus 4's any good for stalking, any recommendations, info etc. what are your thoughts
thanks for your help

It's a no no from me wear mine on a shoot day plus twos would be more practical for stalking not so baggy / snaggy
norma

They are fairly classic hill-stalking gear, certainly. Plenty of room for crouchin', crawlin', scramblin' and so on, and when wet should hang away from the leg.
The sporting tailor's in Pendlebury make a thing they call 'stalker breeks' which are in fact plus threes and therefore a little less-emphatically baggy.

In the northern part of Germany, plus fours were apparently known colloquially among ramblers (who often wore them) as 'Aeppleklauhose' - applethefttrousers.

Hi all are plus 4's any good for stalking, any recommendations, info etc. what are your thoughts
thanks for your help

just on my experience, they are perfect ----------------- As long as you like ticks

depending on where you're stalking - if your stalking in a high tick area wear decent trouser type they do keep the ticks out better, or if the ticks aren't a problems decent pair of gaiters they work well together, I found the old type waxed canvas gaiters the best, waterproof and silent they compliment each other

ATB

Phil

What a load of absolute tosh..... You get no more ticks from wearing plus two's, plus fours, deer hunter trousers or the likes of your pro hunter trousers.
The good thing about plus fours is that during crawling you have a good chance of keeping your knees dry as opposed to plus two''s riding up your legs and soaking you through. As for wearing any sort of trousers with gaiters over the top restricting movement, well no thanks it's not for me.
Try some, you definitely won't look back., and the tweed dries a lot quicker than the man made trousers.

What a load of absolute tosh..... You get no more ticks from wearing plus two's, plus fours, deer hunter trousers or the likes of your pro hunter trousers.
The good thing about plus fours is that during crawling you have a good chance of keeping your knees dry as opposed to plus two''s riding up your legs and soaking you through. As for wearing any sort of trousers with gaiters over the top restricting movement, well no thanks it's not for me.
Try some, you definitely won't look back., and the tweed dries a lot quicker than the man made trousers.

what a load of absolute toshhhhh.

Funny that. I can take you to the spot where I sat down in my plus fours to have a break and watch a ride for ten minutes. I can also take you to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics the next day.

Regards

JCS

Funny that. I can take you to the spot where I sat down in my plus fours to have a break and watch a ride for ten minutes. I can also take you to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics the next day.

Regards

JCS

funny that me too. I Can take you to
my ground where I can can get just as many ticks wearing trousers as to plus fours. How do you explain getting ticks under your arms, back and lower back?????

Plus fours, boots and gators on the hill for me, cheapy Asda green trousers, boots and gators on low ground generally!

Regards

JCS
Blimey! You did well to get a diagnosis and the GP to prescribe antibiotics within 24 hrs!!! Not humanly possible actually. Or were you just afraid you may have Lymes and the Doxycycline was a precaution??
Id be prescribed it hundreds of times a year on that basis. Some folk do talk a load of s--t.

Plus fours are much better than trousers, leg movement is much easier. The knee goes over gaitors or wellies and helps keep you that wee bit drier. Can't say I have ever got more ticks on me when I wore them.

Al

I've actually had more ticks whilst wearing my pro hunters than when wearing my plus 4's and gaiters, definitely a lot comfier for stalking in IMHO

Tweeds for me every time. Again, not noticed any more ticks than wearing Pro Hunters, or the cheap ASDA cammo trousers.

Tweed for the hill, no more likely to pick up ticks with tweeds than normal trousers but you do need gaiters because they will get through your socks if you don't, gaiters and normal boots are probably better than long legged boots because long legged boots still leave a gap that they can get access.

Plus fours rather than plus twos, after having been crawling and you stand up your knees will be dry as the wet bit will be hanging down over your gaiters, not so with plus two's.

Tweed is not cold in winter nor is it too hot in summer, nor is it particularly cold when wet unlike most man made fibres, tweed used to be heavy but these days there are lots of light weight tweeds on the market, some don't like the feel of wool next to their skin, but you can get lined breeks if that is the case, many manufacturers make them with a waterproof lining if think you need it.

Been wearing tweed for fifty years and have yet to find anything better for all occasions.

Tweed for the hill, no more likely to pick up ticks with tweeds than normal trousers but you do need gaiters because they will get through your socks if you don't, gaiters and normal boots are probably better than long legged boots because long legged boots still leave a gap that they can get access.

Plus fours rather than plus twos, after having been crawling and you stand up your knees will be dry as the wet bit will be hanging down over your gaiters, not so with plus two's.

Tweed is not cold in winter nor is it too hot in summer, nor is it particularly cold when wet unlike most man made fibres, tweed used to be heavy but these days there are lots of light weight tweeds on the market, some don't like the feel of wool next to their skin, but you can get lined breeks if that is the case, many manufacturers make them with a waterproof lining if think you need it.

Been wearing tweed for fifty years and have yet to find anything better for all occasions.

Just 50????? Lol. All joking aside a spot on answer.

Nutty

Never worn plus 4's but in my opinion, if you are going to get ticks, you'll get ticks. I have tried everything under the sun including all the advice with clothing and its all guff. Doesn't make a bit of difference. The only thing I haven't tried is rovince. I have heard mixed reviews about it and am on the sceptical side but will probably give it a go in time.

Back