Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live weight from on the hook weight?

Live weight from on the hook weight?

Is there a standard way of estimating the live weight of an animal from it's larder weight? Or if it's all down to experience what is you estimate for a 4 year old fallow buck that was 130lb on the hooks?

Thanks Ben

Quote Originally Posted by pinguisgod View Post
    Is there a standard way of estimating the live weight of an animal from it's larder weight? Or if it's all down to experience what is you estimate for a 4 year old fallow buck that was 130lb on the hooks?

Thanks Ben
    Ben,
    I took a buck last year that with head off in larder was 67kg. mentor reckoned it was comfortably 100kg when alive, so add 50% for larger bucks...?. % is probably different for lower weights

I'm sure someone will have more scientificly based answers but on the whole I find somewhere around 25-30% on top of carcass weight, it's probably fairly relative from species to species, as a red with an enormous rack of antlers will have a correspondingly large neck to support it etc.....
    Equally a dinky little muntjac will be in proportion according to their different set up.
    I know on a red stag there can be about 25kg of green offal, 10 or so of pluck, and up to say 12-15kg of head and 4 feet, so roughly possibly 50kg, carcass weight for an animal like that would be 145-150kg.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks Ben
    I put this question to a chap who deals with deer on a daily basis, his reply was add a 1/3 to the hook weight.
    Also learnt a lesson when I dropped of a deer and was knocked 4 kg off the weight from the when they first weighed it....
    Not a lot of cash, however compared to what they charge for it retail then they made a nice few quid!
    It hasn't happened again as I spoke to them about it....and know it is fair as that is all I asked.

Tim.243

They do lose weight as they dry, like you say, 4-5kg can be fairly normal just from hanging overnight, more if they are hung for a few days in a chiller, if you think about a deer the size of a red with a thick coat, if it's been raining, there's an awful lot of weight that can be added to just the hide, and why would they want to pay more for that.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks Ben
    I found the following table on the site of the ISPRA (Italian Experimental Institute for Environment Protection)
    HOOK/LIVE WEIGHT
    CLASS (sex&age) ROE FALLOW RED
    Fawns 78% 77% 75%
    Yearling bucks 79% 78% 75%
    Young bucks --- 79% 76%
    Adult bucks 80% 79% 78%
    Yearling does 79% 76% 75%
    Adult does 79% 77% 73%

The ratios are referred to beasts shot on the Apennines, in the Bologna area. Very heavy animals lead to smaller percentage and viceversa. I do not know why roe Young bucks are not listed, but personally suggest to extrapolate the value.

I think Richard Prior has a table in his book the The Roe Deer setting out examples of the difference in live weight and weights at various stages in the carcass handling process.

Not got it to hand but will check when I get a min.

Novice

Very interesting points there guys, I hadn't considered the moisture content previously.

I've always gone with the 30% rule.

So your 130lb buck would be around 169lb live at a guess
    Last edited by jubnut; 04-11-2014 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    I put this question to a chap who deals with deer on a daily basis, his reply was add a 1/3 to the hook weight.
    Also learnt a lesson when I dropped of a deer and was knocked 4 kg off the weight from the when they first weighed it....
    Not a lot of cash, however compared to what they charge for it retail then they made a nice few quid!
    It hasn't happened again as I spoke to them about it....and know it is fair as that is all I asked.

Tim.243
    Quite normal for them to loose weight as they dry out, for red deer we used to estimate 1lb for every stone in weight in the first 24 hrs.l