Thread: Hanging Deer

Hanging Deer

To "hang" deer (or any meat for that matter) does it have to be suspended? I can't see a reason based on the normal maturation process and I assume carcasses were hung because it was easier to work on and you could store more, plus they cooled better with good circulation. I know with some of the massive moose they just cut the good cuts out and leave to mature. I'm asking as my deer store is too warm at present, but the hind I shot yesterday is too big to hang in my fridge, although she may fit in it without hanging.

Hanging any carcase lets the rigor mortise set quicker and letting all the small bloods to get out.
    Its also easier to work on when set and cooled

What's the longest you have ever left a deer hanging?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    To "hang" deer (or any meat for that matter) does it have to be suspended? ... but the hind I shot yesterday is too big to hang in my fridge, although she may fit in it without hanging.
    You can place the pieces in the fridge, if the whole is too big to hang. I use wax paper and rotate the pieces every day.

Hanging is ideal as it exposes the entire surface area to the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    To "hang" deer (or any meat for that matter) does it have to be suspended? I can't see a reason based on the normal maturation process and I assume carcasses were hung because it was easier to work on and you could store more, plus they cooled better with good circulation. I know with some of the massive moose they just cut the good cuts out and leave to mature. I'm asking as my deer store is too warm at present, but the hind I shot yesterday is too big to hang in my fridge, although she may fit in it without hanging.

Jave you tried hanging her by the aitch bone??

Why not cut the spine transversely at the lumbosacral junction and hang haunches separate to forelimbs, ribs and saddle?

I'm not a butcher but I've always butchered my own deer and I've read bits and pieces about this. It seems there is something in hanging as the weight lengthens / stretches the muscle fibres and assists in the process. Having said that, unless you've got access to a large cool store it's not always practical. I'd sometimes break the carcass down into the large muscle groups after hanging for a night. These were vacuum packed and sat in a chiller for 10 days! Not air dried but so long as the meat is clean worked beautifully. I know of guys who hang sambar deer (some people reckon to tough for anything but sausages) for 3-4 weeks at 1-2 deg Celsius. No rules.
    Cheers,
    Hayden