Rimfire rifles, which to go for?

defender

I had my visit last week for my variation and have been told that I can have a .17HMR and a .22, so now I have to decide which rifles to get. I have a Sauer 202 outback in .270 and a Tikka T3 in .243 both of which I really like but I know nothing about rim fires. I have been reading lots of good things about the T Bolt in .177HMR so I am leaning towards that but I am at a bit of a loss about what to get in truth. I am thinking of a semi auto in .22 is this a good idea, or would I be better off getting two identical rifles, one in each caliber?

What would you recommend?

Cheers,

Martin

Said it many times before but one more time won't hurt original Sako Finfire , the new one is a abortion and a disgrace to the name.

Re the .22lr.
If you want accuracy at long range,say out to 100 yards or more, go for a bolt action.
The cz 452 is great for price and accuracy.
If you want lead downrange for say bunny bashing,a semi-auto is OK.
Bear in mind though that semi's can and do jam.
Atb

ps... re the .17 hmr,do a lot of reading up on the calibre before you commit.

Last edited:
Re the .22lr.
If you want accuracy at long range,say out to 100 yards or more, go for a bolt action.
The cz 452 is great for price and accuracy.
If you want lead downrange for say bunny bashing,a semi-auto is OK.
Bear in mind though that semi's can and do jam.
Atb
+1
the cz452 will take any amount of abuse had mine 13 yrs never let me down yet

+1 for the CZ452 .22lr, I have had both .17hmr and .22lr, although I liked the .17hmr. I just didn't really use it that much compared to the .22. the longer range for the .17 is good, and was good if you caught a fox while out rabbiting, but I just take the .243 if I were solely just going out Foxing. So I would get a .22lr

+1 for CZ452 Lovely light. accurate and balanced rifle so easy to use freehand.
I also have ,17 Anshutz 1517 Thumbhole great looking rifle but this is quite heavy and with mod is not well balanced, I find I have to shoot off sticks to achieve any degree of accuracy and am considering changing for a CZ!

Anyone considered or own a Ruger 10/22? been looking at the new target tactical ? to set up for NV
regards
Steve

Hello fella I have a sake quad in 22lr and in 17hmr which I use a lot I have a photon mounted on it on a rail and a day scope I switch between them often with no problems at all. And I have 22lr and 17hmr both in cz 452s I've had the czs for 10 years and can't fault them even more so once I fettled the triggers. It tough if I had to lose one set it would be very hard to chose Which to keep. But saying that the quad is my work gun and the cz are my own. They are very much as good as each other cz'eds are smother slicker and shorter the quad is all weather and newer and dose what it needs too.

Not a lot of help lol sorry

Snapped at 13:52hrs today in a Kentish wood:

Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle 22LR

CoopJSRA2014_zps4376ab6a.jpg

K

I've got an original Finnfire and a quad in 17hmr. Both really nice to shoot, although the stock on the quad is fairly plasticy and nasty. I don't care about getting that one wet though! Both very accurate, spare magazines are stupidly expensive though.

Back