Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting accuracy and wounding

Shooting accuracy and wounding

I got this from the BASC email listing recent scientific papers of interest to stalkers

PLOS ONE: Factors Associated with Shooting Accuracy and Wounding Rate of Four Managed Wild Deer Species in the UK, Based on Anonymous Field Records from Deer Stalkers

One section that will certainly cause debate, just to stir things up a little and get a little interest in what looks to be useful research, will be this:

For Bullet weight, the poor performance of bullets under 75 grains warranted further investigation to establish whether bullet weight or rifle calibre was driving the result. The original data showed that 54 shots from five stalkers involved bullets weighing less than 75 grains. Two of the shots were fired from a high-velocity Remington 22–250 rifle, and both shots killed their targets. The remaining 52 shots were fired from rifles of calibre.222,.243 or 6 mm, with muzzle energy below 2000 J. All were fired at roe deer and 17.3% of these shots resulted in wounding. There was no obvious effect of distance, as only one of the wounding shots extended beyond 100 m. Three of the same stalkers also fired 22 shots at roe deer from rifles of identical calibre using bullets weighing over 75 grains (muzzle energy above 2500 J): there was no incidence of wounding. For comparison, another 37 stalkers fired 440 shots at roe deer from rifles of identical calibre using bullets over 75 grains: the wounding rate was 4.5%.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Does this mean that shooters with more experience choose more suitable bullets?

Did, for example, the 3 shooters who used bullets of weights below and above 75 grains move to the heavier weights because they weren't satisfied with the performance of the lighter bullets they had used previously?

There are of course bullets that are designed to give controlled expansion with a high degree of weight retention in the sub-75-grain category, but the vast majority of .22 and 6mm bullets under 75-grains are "varmint" bullets designed for rapid expansion/fragmentation. If these were chosen for use on roe deer I can see why wounding might result.

Shops tend to stock such bullets for the smaller calibres since most are used for foxes, small game and vermin, and most shooters who begin their rifle-shooting careers pursuing such quarry naturally buy and become familiar with them. Do these shooters then go on, having had the necessary condition added to their certificates, to use them on deer, and do they only seek out a better bullet after one or more animals have run off?

BTW I'm assuming that wounding meant that a second shot was deemed necessary or that the animal showed signs of being hit but was never recovered, but will go off and read the paper in question to check their definition.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Is that why the FC ask for .270 or above for Lamping deer by contractors. Looks like the little bullets need to be driven in to the exact poa

Well I for one will be sticking with my "useless, wounding, sub 75gr" .222 soft points in 60gr form for roe

not had a wounding or a runner yet!

stick any bullet in the wrong place and you will wound
    make it worse with the wrong construction and you will increase your chances of a wounding

I wonder if those using 22/250,s or 222,s had started off as fox shooters ? Small targets require better accuracy. Also those calibres offer very little recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Is that why the FC ask for .270 or above for Lamping deer by contractors. Looks like the little bullets need to be driven in to the exact poa
    FFS why does every thread you reply to need to involve the FC. You were boring before but now you are really boring. Change the record

Al

Caorach did the report take into account the type of bullet used as Mr Gain makes a very valid point about bullet selection and suitability?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika98k View Post
    I wonder if those using 22/250,s or 222,s had started off as fox shooters ? Small targets require better accuracy. Also those calibres offer very little recoil.
    I think that's a very valid point. In my post I didn't mean to imply that fox/vermin shooters were any less accurate when shooting at deer, only that they might unwittingly make a poor choice of bullet by sticking to what they know.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post

Using the site to pursue personal vendettas, stirring up trouble seemingly for one's own amusement and relentless general unpleasantness is unnecessary, it spoils the site for the majority and it won't be tolerated. Accounts being used for this purpose will be suspended.:

No mention of home loads.....

Know where is my vernier..........

Tim.243