Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester M70 caliber advise

Winchester M70 caliber advise

I am in the process of ordering a new Winchester Model 70 Classic Hunter but cannot decide on the caliber. I would have liked it in .270 Winchester but in Europe it is only offered in .30-06, .270 WSM or .300 Win Mag. The Win Mag is over the top for UK stalking so it's a toss up between the first two. I would be using it for Reds and possibly Boar. I currently use a short barrel .308 for Roe and Red, I would hang on to this as it has sentimental value. The .30-06 is a classic but the .270 WSM intrigues me and would be something different, although availability and cost of ammunition are a concern. I reload when I have time which could offset this. I would appreciate any thoughts and advise to aid my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    I am in the process of ordering a new Winchester Model 70 Classic Hunter but cannot decide on the caliber. I would have liked it in .270 Winchester but in Europe it is only offered in .30-06, .270 WSM or .300 Win Mag. The Win Mag is over the top for UK stalking so it's a toss up between the first two. I would be using it for Reds and possibly Boar. I currently use a short barrel .308 for Roe and Red, I would hang on to this as it has sentimental value. The .30-06 is a classic but the .270 WSM intrigues me and would be something different, although availability and cost of ammunition are a concern. I reload when I have time which could offset this. I would appreciate any thoughts and advise to aid my decision.
    I believe -and some here will disagree- that the 270 WSM won't be around in 10 years. Unfortunately for Winchester, the WSM's never generated enough interest to save their company from a financial demise. Here in the US it is just not popular and brass is "unavailable", even from Winchester. For that lesser reason i'd recommend the 30-06. The greater reasons to own the 30-06 is that there are hundreds of loads available. Many decades ago it was said that if a man reloaded two proven loads a week for the 30-06 and shot them on the weekends, he would die of old age before he got through with all of them. I've never done the math on that claim but there is always a new load to try in the 30-06. From 55 grain saboted bullets to 220 grain, it's hard to beat the versatility.~Muir

I second Muir: .30-06.

The Winchester M70 Supergrade and Classic Hunter are all about the .30-06 and .270 Win. They harken back to an earlier era.

I don't own a Model 70 in either of these cartridges anymore, but I began my .30-06 hunting with a pre-64 Supergrade with a 4x B&L scope with a German #1 reticle. Later, I owned an .270 in Ultragrade...too nice to shoot. I bought a Model 70 Featherweight in .308 for my son - really nice. I own a M70 Compact in 7mm-08.

And I still own at least a dozen .30-06s ( and a .30-03 ). There is just so much variety in the loads, that you can have a lot of variety in .30-06 rifles, from Mannlicher carbine, to full sized long-range rifle, to target, to M1 Garand. Or just load one .30-06 a zillion ways.

A .270-ish load of a 130-gr Speer or Barnes at 3,200 fps from a .30-06 are some of them.
    Last edited by Southern; 04-11-2014 at 23:01.

30-06 is a good do all and in my view the sensible option over 270.

Accurate

Obtainable Ammo

Easy to reload

Vast choice of bullet weight and type

Good for Woodland or Hill

I too am a 30-06 fan.
    If plod told me to keep one from the cabinate it would be a 30-06. 110-220grain. What's not to like?

I recently bought a brand new R93 30-06 barrel. It filled a hole in the cabinate that had been there for a year.
    I saw it on guntrader. Open sights with a m15 spigot for a mod.
    I didn't even know they did such a configuration. When I saw the add. I phoned straight away. And two weeks later drove the 130 miles to pick it up.

When they got the barrel for me they had to take the protective wrapping off.
    Even with a mod on it feels very light.

Now 500 was more than I spent on my first second hand rifle!
    But it's the caliber I can't do with out.

Now I am pondering through the load manuals looking for a 110 grain plinking load so I can go practise with the open sights. So far I have found 25! Still looking though. It has become a mission!

You'd maybe be better off plinking with your hunting load, unless you can find some other load combination that replicates the hunting loads external ballistic characteristics.

It is easy to sight your .30-06 at 150 or 200 yards and build lots of practice loads, from 110 JSP to 170 gr cast, which will be on zero at 50, 75 and 100 yards. They are great for small game and small deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    You'd maybe be better off plinking with your hunting load, unless you can find some other load combination that replicates the hunting loads external ballistic characteristics.
    Not entirely necessary. Shooting is sight alignment and trigger control, trajectory is irrelevant for most practice (plinking). ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Well as this is open sight off hand practise. Replicating a scoped hunting load is irelivant.
    If I want to test a scoped hunting load with open sights. I will shoot 2 or 3 at the end of the practise. If I shoot 2 inch group at 50 yards I am a happy man.

I sit in the Camp of. Anal retentive reloading of rounds is a big waste of time. The most important factor in a good group. Is the soft sod behind the trigger. Lee dippers with a factory crimp makes accurate safe ammo. If I do my bit.
    In fact the data sheet load that comes with the dipper. Is looking pretty good.

I think southern must have been reading my mind regarding CB loads. I would shoot cast lead only in a hart beat if I was sure the gas check won't get snagged on the mod. Guess I will have to load some and find out. If they work ok then it will be a CBGC 180grain at around 2000fps for everything I do with that rifle. Very cheap shooting with the amount of lead I have here (2-3 ton).

Hold that thought. A 3/4 jacket lead tip would be a stonker. Looks like A set of draw dies is on the cards then.
    Last edited by Simjim33; 05-11-2014 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Well as this is open sight off hand practise. Replicating a scoped hunting load is irelivant.
    If I want to test a scoped hunting load with open sights. I will shoot 2 or 3 at the end of the practise. If I shoot 2 inch group at 50 yards I am a happy man.

I sit in the Camp of. Anal retentive reloading of rounds is a big waste of time. The most important factor in a good group. Is the soft sod behind the trigger. Lee dippers with a factory crimp makes accurate safe ammo. If I do my bit.
    In fact the data sheet load that comes with the dipper. Is looking pretty good.

I think southern must have been reading my mind regarding CB loads. I would shoot cast lead only in a hart beat if I was sure the gas check won't get snagged on the mod. Guess I will have to load some and find out. If they work ok then it will be a CBGC 180grain at around 2000fps for everything I do with that rifle. Very cheap shooting with the amount of lead I have here (2-3 ton).

Hold that thought. A 3/4 jacket lead tip would be a stonker. Looks like A set of draw dies is on the cards then.
    \

The gas check won't come off. Lots of guys are shooting 300 Blackout through mods with gas-checked bullets.

30-06 with a Lyman 311-284 at 100M.~Muir