Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herons

Herons

I have been seeing a lot of Herons over the last few days.
    How such an odd shaped bird can fly so gracefully and silently I will never know.
    I live not far from the river Avon and we do have a gert big fishing lake not far away but but I have never seen so many herons as just recently, they seem to be everywhere and at no particular time of day either.
    If they were Storks I could understand it as we have quite a large military area not far away.
    Most of the soldiers are married and it was about nine months ago that the area shook with the rocking caused by returning soldiers from Afghanistan ;-)
    But as it wasn't Storks, has anybody any idea why the sudden appearance of such an abundance of Herons ?

coming back home after robbing my pond again

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    coming back home after robbing my pond again
    Nah, they look so innocent, they wouldn't be robbers

Not only Herons take fish. I saw a bird, from a distance, that I could not identify, stood in the shallow water of the Avon the other day.
    While I was approaching it I could see it had a small head and hooked beak with a 'chunkey' body but it was too small for a Buzzard and too big for a Sparrow Hawk.
    As I got closer it took off, It was mostly brown but It's under wing was lighter with bars.
    The way it flew off indicated it was a bird of prey.
    As it rose from the water it struggled slightly to get height, did a 'wing wobble' and flew off down the river with something in it's tallons.
    I have never seen anything quite like this before.
    We have a lot of Buzzards, a few Sparrow hawks and, recently, quite a few Red Kites which are easily identified by their forked tail and 'pointy' wings.
    I haven't seen any Hen Harriers recently but we had a few not far from here a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Not only Herons take fish.
    Very true, but the others tend to be a bit scarce most of the time, and do no harm to fisheries.
    I've not fished the Avon for a few years now, but it did give me my only sighting of an Osprey
    fishing, right by the top of the Severals boundary at Ringwood in the autumn of 1995 (i think)
    as it took a small pike from the river only about 15 yards from where I was crouched under a tree.

Neil.

Yes the lack of leaves and young birds making their mark could explain the recent numbers.
    Also the river Avon is at it's lowest I have ever seen it.
    There is always the deep central part of the river and the narrow parts but on the bends a certain amount of silt has built up and now probably a third of the width is only 6" deep in places and lovely and clear making it easier for the birds to see fry or even, in some parts, freshwater shrimps.

Not only Herons take fish. I saw a bird, from a distance, that I could not identify, stood in the shallow water of the Avon the other day.
    While I was approaching it I could see it had a small head and hooked beak with a 'chunkey' body but it was too small for a Buzzard and too big for a Sparrow Hawk.
    As I got closer it took off, It was mostly brown but It's under wing was lighter with bars.
    The way it flew off indicated it was a bird of prey.
    As it rose from the water it struggled slightly to get height, did a 'wing wobble' and flew off down the river with something in it's tallons.
    I have never seen anything quite like this before.
    We have a lot of Buzzards, a few Sparrow hawks and, recently, quite a few Red Kites which are easily identified by their forked tail and 'pointy' wings.
    I haven't seen any Hen Harriers recently but we had a few not far from here a few years ago.
    EMcC - Could it be an escapie from the hawk conservancy? I'll have a word with my mate who's a keeper on an estate close to you he also looks after a good stretch of the Avon.

WH

Also the river Avon is at it's lowest I have ever seen it.
    There is always the deep central part of the river and the narrow parts but on the bends a certain amount of silt has built up and now probably a third of the width is only 6" deep in places and lovely and clear making it easier for the birds to see fry or even, in some parts, freshwater shrimps.
    The stretch of the Severals I referred to was one of my favourite places to be in autumn, deep steady water close in, but a winter flood changed it probably for all time in the late 90's.
    Now it is shallow and silty and the big barbel have moved on, the main reason I no longer travel down there every weekend.

Neil.

This was taken just after he`d had a good feed out of Apex Lake in Burnham on Sea.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.