Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few cleaning questions.

A few cleaning questions.

Recently visited my local gun shop to ask advice on cleaning my .308 rifle, it's my first centerfire.

I was advised a Parker Hale rod, proshot jag and patches and a bisley brass brush along with a bottle of Parker Hale 009, which I duly bought. The advised cleaning method was as follows:

Run the brass brush down the barrel, detach and remove it, withdraw rod.
    Soak a patch in 009, attach jag to rod, put patch on jag and run through barrel, wait 10 minutes then repeatedly run clean patches through till they come out clean
    Put some gun oil on a patch and run that through.
    Put rifle away. When next used, run a clean patch through to remove oil.

This is what they use on their own guns, they also said they don't use bore guides and, although they sell them, don't think them necessary if you're careful.

Now, I know from reading on here, that cleaning is a whole world of differing opinions. I'm thinking a bore guide is probably a good idea, if not for rod alignment then for preventing stuff getting into the trigger mech, so plan to pick one of those up, not sure on brand yet.

So questions:

Given the kit I have, is the recommended cleaning appropriate?
    As I don't shoot the rifle often, is copper fouling much of an issue?
    Is copper fouling cleaning an occasional deep clean and is the lead cleaning (ie 009) done after every shooting outing or after X number of rounds?
    Prior to this, cleaning has been gun oil on a pulled through patch, would you still do this after every outing with rod cleaning after X rounds etc?

It seems from my reading that a thorough deep clean will throw your zero off until a few rounds have gone through again so I'm wondering how best to schedule cleaning. I would assume that after every outing, like with a shotgun, you'd want to clean powder residue from the barrel as this attracts moisture and thus corrosion. Hence, pull through with oiled patch to remove crud after every outing. It's the deeper cleans I'm trying to get my head round.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mr_magicfingers; 04-11-2014 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    Recently visited my local gun shop to ask advice on cleaning my .308 rifle, it's my first centerfire.

I was advised a Parker Hale rod, proshot jag and patches and a bisley brass brush along with a bottle of Parker Hale 009, which I duly bought. The advised cleaning method was as follows:

Run the brass brush down the barrel, detach and remove it, withdraw rod.
    Soak a patch in 009, attach jag to rod, put patch on jag and run through barrel, wait 10 minutes then repeatedly run clean patches through till they come out clean
    Put some gun oil on a patch and run that through.
    Put rifle away. When next used, run a clean patch through to remove oil.

This is what they use on their own guns, they also said they don't use bore guides and, although they sell them, don't think them necessary if you're careful.

Now, I know from reading on here, that cleaning is a whole world of differing opinions. I'm thinking a bore guide is probably a good idea, if not for rod alignment then for preventing stuff getting into the trigger mech, so plan to pick one of those up, not sure on brand yet.

So questions:

Given the kit I have, is the recommended cleaning appropriate?
    As I don't shoot the rifle often, is copper fouling much of an issue?
    Is copper fouling cleaning an occasional deep clean and is the lead cleaning (ie 009) done after every shooting outing or after X number of rounds?
    Prior to this, cleaning has been gun oil on a pulled through patch, would you still do this after every outing with rod cleaning after X rounds etc?

It seems from my reading that a thorough deep clean will throw your zero off until a few rounds have gone through again so I'm wondering how best to schedule cleaning. I would assume that after every outing, like with a shotgun, you'd want to clean powder residue from the barrel as this attracts moisture and thus corrosion. Hence, pull through with oiled patch to remove crud after every outing. It's the deeper cleans I'm trying to get my head round.

Thanks.
    Forget this "deep cleaning" thing. It's a ritual made up by people who sell cleaning supplies and fostered by incredibly anal gun owners. I don't 'deep clean' any of my rifles and i pride myself on accurate rifles. I have put 300 rounds through my Tikka 7mm-08 over the last 5 weeks and it has yet to see a patch. If i lived in a humid climate, One patch with a drop or two of oil followed by a half dozen or better dry ones would be all I did.

What your shop advised is fine. It removes the powder residue, puts a little chemical action on the copper, and leaves a trace of oil in the bore to protect it.~Muir

If you feel you have to clean the rifle, a bore snake is all you need...

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    If you feel you have to clean the rifle, a bore snake is all you need...

Have to disagree here K.

Boresnake does the barrel no favours at all….

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Have to disagree here K.

Boresnake does the barrel no favours at all….
    I just offered the other end of what the OP posted as a cleaning regime. You are of course far more knowledgeable than me on this, but I was referring to moderate use of a boresnake. I use the boresnake if I take 5-10 shots, which happens once every few weeks. I use the rod and a more thorough cleaning once a year. I, of course, do not shoot as many rounds as others, and perhaps this is why this kind of arrangement works for me.

No problem, if that works for you - it wanst a criticism.

Ive found more damage done to barrels through the incorrect use of "snake devices" including snapped off in the barrel scenario than with any other method of cleaning.

I always use a rod and bore guide on any rifle I own.

If I'm in the field I have a rod in the vehicle - just in case I trip and plug the barrel - a snake won't help you here..

Returning to the main subject cleaning with a rod - even a simple once pass through with a VP 90 soaked patch every now and again with prevent corrosion during sporadic use.

I tend to clean my stalking guns this way - if I don't fire a shot but have been out

If shots fired zero practice or culling, then they get cleaned.

Mine perform better from clean - some barrels don't.

My target rifles,,they get a thorough clean after each days shooting, which could be after 70 + rounds down the bore.

None of my barrels wear out through lack of care

Id also advocate the use of nylon brushes over copper bristled ones and alloy jag spears - both prevent "false" show of copper from solutions.

The Losso brushes are very, very good..

Thanks gents. I'll look into a nylon brush and get a bore guide, sounds like I'm reasonably well set.

Muir, thanks for the reassurance, I always read your posts with interest given the volume of shooting you've done over the years.

Have used Wipeout now for a number of years and think it's the best thing from sliced bread.

A small squirt, leave for twenty minutes, run a nylon brush through a few times and patch till clean.
    Finish off with a very light oil.

I never put rifle away with a dirty barrel.

I used Wipe out once and won't be doing it again in a hurry. Sent the accuracy of one of my rifles way off. Think it cleaned it to we'll!

I use Wipeout Tactical advantage and have never looked back, the stuff is seriously easy to use. I clean with Dewey Rod with Aluminium fittings and Pro Shot Aluminium Nylon Brush and Jag (for no false copper indication) a couple of applications and the Barrel is clean, no need to Oil has it has rust inhibitor in it, no Zero issues at all with either my .223 or 6.5x47L.
    Can't do any harm having clean barreled accurate on the first shot rifles in the cabinet, and lets not hear any sillyness on Nylon Brushes damaging bores please!!!!
    Oh and get yourself some good boreguides, have two Calibre specific ones from David and Christel at the Shooting Shed, cant get any better imo.