A few cleaning questions.

I think the mark is a

W

An asterosk over a capital W..but I've never seen a rifle so marked. I'm guessing the barrels were changed out as soon as possible. Here's a link to 1931 Armourer Instructions. Cord wear is referenced on page 8. But not the mark.

http://www.vcrai.com/INSTRUCTIONS_FOR_ARMOURER1.pdf
Thanks for the PDF. I hope you don'r mind that I downloaded it for further reading. I read the appropriate areas and they mention cord wear, but it is interesting that it mentions damaging the chamber, not the crown. (perhaps due to the presence of a guide) I don't know how pulling a cird off center would cause the back end of the pull through to damage the chamber but......

More interesting is that muzzle wear is identified as resulting from improper use of a hardened steel rod. I'm with them on that. It's a holiday here and I'm pressed for time. I hope I read the above correctly. In any event, thanks again. ~Muir

Thanks for the PDF. I hope you don'r mind that I downloaded it for further reading. I read the appropriate areas and they mention cord wear, but it is interesting that it mentions damaging the chamber, not the crown. (perhaps due to the presence of a guide) I don't know how pulling a cird off center would cause the back end of the pull through to damage the chamber but......

More interesting is that muzzle wear is identified as resulting from improper use of a hardened steel rod. I'm with them on that. It's a holiday here and I'm pressed for time. I hope I read the above correctly. In any event, thanks again. ~Muir

The guide states that a muzzle guide is used "...to prevent damage by the friction of the chord..." to the muzzle, hence why only care to avoid damage of the chamber is mentioned whilst pulling through. Thing about a steel rod, is that providing a bore guuide is used, no chamber damage will result and as lomng as care is taken not to roughly push through, and even worse, pull back the rod once clear of the muzzle, then there's no reason that use of a steel rod should damage the muzzle, especially since the patch on a jag effectively centres the rod as it gets pushed down the barrel. Care is taken when pushing it gently through to discard the patch. Haven't suffered muzzle damage using a steel rod and been doing it this way for years.

Please it is usefl. Muir. It's not my PDF it's public domain. I'm glad I found the link.

I think that in truth any and all methods of cleaning can harm a bore if it's done wrong. But if done right they don't.

Last edited:

I found it interesting reading too. My reading of the bit about cord wear also related to damage to the chamber not the muzzle. But A) that was regarding a procedure where a muzzle guide was fitted; and B) this refers to rust removal with a double pull through. I understand this to be a longer pull through operated by one man holding each end of the pull through and scrubbing repeatedly backward and forward with a piece of wire mesh/ gauze in the loop in the middle until the rust/ heavy fouling was removed. This strikes me as being so far removed from what any modern rifle owner is likely to do with a boresnake or pull through, that it's not really worth considering.
Link below describes the product being referred to:
http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=205

I suppose next you'll tell us that's why prisoners can't have shoe laces, they saw through the bars.

I seem to remember hearing a version of that at school.... How to get out of jail with only an orange.

The prisoner rubbed his hand on the wall until it was sore: Used the saw to cut the orange in half: two halves make a whole: he crawled through the hole to make his escape. (works better if you say it out loud)

They do use a diamond wire to cut hills in half in marble, limestone and granite quarries.

I use a bore snake, but it seems to be a no brainer to keep it all in line (and off the floor) above and below the barrel.

Do any others who use them ever put a few drops of CLP or Wipeout on the tail end for the second pull through?

Alan

Last edited:
Damages the crown due to the inaccurate angle it leaves the bbl.
I'd like to see that. I believe that to be a myth perpetuated by people who sell one piece steel cleaning rods. It's always the case where some gunsmith someone's buddy talked to says a rifle's crown was 'ruined' by use of a bore snake. I've never heard or seen of such an event first hand. I've been using them for 20 years or so.~Muir

(Has anyone on SD ruined their crown by the proper use of a Bore Snake?) (Or improper use, for that matter?)

Last edited:
(Has anyone on SD ruined their crown by the proper use of a Bore Snake?) (Or improper use, for that matter?)

Eggzachary! I use a variety of cleaning methods depending on whether I am home or away. A boresnake is a handy tool. It's not exactly hard to pull them through axially and avoid the mythical shredding of the crown.

Damages the crown due to the inaccurate angle it leaves the bbl.

If someone can show me the maths that proves a piece of string can damage steel capable of withstanding pressures in excess of 60KSI (as in teh case of the .270) then I may change my mind about the myth that a boresnake damages the crown. Until then. . . . . .

Back