Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderators in Spain (or Europe generally)

Moderators in Spain (or Europe generally)

Do anyone know if it is legal to take a moderator to Spain to hunt? (i.e the ones on the end of the rifle, rather than a free holiday for the admins....)

If there a european wide rule on this or likely to be country specific. Just wondering whether to get them added to my european pass or if the continentals assume they are 'part of the rifle'

I wouldn't know about moderators and Spain but I can tell you with a degree of certainty that the laws relating to firearms are quite different in every country.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The use of moderators for hunting in Europe is the exception rather than the norm. As far as I know, they're illegal just about everywhere apart from the UK and Scandinavian countries, because of fears around poaching.

Congratulations sir you've passed the hearing test. You're nicked!

I was shooting in Spain last year. Mods are illegal, due to worries about people using them for poaching.

Thanks guys - seems a like a no-no.

Will be interesting to see if the acceptance of them happens in line with the euro-regs on workplace noise protection like it did here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratten View Post

Will be interesting to see if the acceptance of them happens in line with the euro-regs on workplace noise protection like it did here.
    If the European courts are in charge it's more likely we will have to fall in with the rest of Europe.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    If the European courts are in charge it's more likely we will have to fall in with the rest of Europe.

Neil.
    This would be a good thing. If the UK just applied the Firearms Directive and left it at that we'd have a much more liberal regime!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    This would be a good thing. If the UK just applied the Firearms Directive and left it at that we'd have a much more liberal regime!
    Perhaps I should have been clearer.
    What I meant was we would lose the right to own and use a moderator.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Perhaps I should have been clearer.
    What I meant was we would lose the right to own and use a moderator.

Neil.
    I have no idea where the Directive stands on mods. But given that it applies in the UK, Sweden and Finland, it almost certainly doesn't completely forbid them and lets the member states legislate as they wish on that topic. Interestingly, the recent decriminalisation of former military cartridges for use in hunting in France was primarily because of the said European directive. The French legislation was too restrictive on this point so the European law liberalised the situation! But simultaneously it forced everyone to lock up guns and take proper security precautions. I'd say that's a pretty good trade-off.