rust prevention

spatan7510

Any tips on rust inhibitors? Guns seems to be getting a fine layer of moisture on them in safe, no rust yet, but want to take some preventative measures...

Give ACF 50 a go. I discovered it for my motorbike to keep the salt damage at bay through the winter and it works a treat as protective layer on the rifles.

Try some wardrobe heaters they provide enough heat to keep moisture at bay I put some napier vp90 sachets in my cabinet just to be safe

If it is that bad you can see moisture I would personally relocate the safe as no amount of rust inhibitor will help enough

You can get those moisture absorbing bags from DIY stores as a short term resolution but moving safe location might be the best long term solution. I would not recommend ac50, it goes sticky.

put a low wattage lamp in your cabinet, something like an inspection lamp from Halfords as it has a wire cage to prevent you bashing it with your firearms.

Try coating with Ranaissance wax, this is a clear wax that is applied and buffs to a shine, it forms a protective coating on the metal, it can also be applied to wood and other surfaces, it is used by museums to protect arms and other artefacts from corrosive finger prints etc. I rate it highly.

I have the same issue with my firearms safe as it's located against an outside gable end wall.
I use Tesco dehumidifier tubs, they are only £1 each and work for around six weeks before needing replacing.
The amount of moisture they collect in that time is unbelievable and my rifles are bone dry.

I buy a years supply at a time, great value and stop product.

Try coating with Ranaissance wax, this is a clear wax that is applied and buffs to a shine, it forms a protective coating on the metal, it can also be applied to wood and other surfaces, it is used by museums to protect arms and other artefacts from corrosive finger prints etc. I rate it highly.

+1 all of my guns are protected this way

Ian.

I put some napier vp90 sachets in my cabinet

I use these too. I think they use a vapour deposit to protect all metal surfaces open to atmosphere, even if they're internal to the rifle. If air can get to it, the corrosion-inhibitor can. That's the theory anyway & they seem to work very well :thumb:

Back