Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piece of antler wanted

Piece of antler wanted

As the title suggests, I want to make a priest for my future father-in-law as he is a keen fly fisherman. I was hoping someone had a suitable piece of antler either locally I could collect or someone would be willing to post a piece as all the pieces I currently have are too small. I'm happy to pay for it and cover postage or donate to charity, whatever is preferred or easiest. I know I can look on ebay but I like dealing with stalkers on here so would rather try here first.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like it's for a good cause anyway NH! Can't count the hours I put in helping the then future father-in-law with fencing, still I'm getting him back now with baby sitting. If you haven't sorted anything by early Jan I'm up to my mum's in the highlands where i am certain i have or will find a piece for you. But then you probably want it for xmas.

Just remind me over xmas if you aren't sorted by then.

All the best

ES

Should have something suitable unless you get sorted locally, happy to post though....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Sorry if this is hijacking but oput of interest how will you make the priest?
    Will you add lead to it or just use it as is?
    Sounds like a good christmas present for a few people!

Deerstalker thank you very much for the offer I will PM you to sort out please.

I'm getting married in about 4 weeks and I'd like to give it to him for then so will have to pull my finger out making it. Depending on the thickness I'll either fill with a bit of lead or if it's heavy enough then I'll leave it as it is with some nice wood or horn caps.

Just for reference, a roe foot makes a lovely priest too? I keep mine & dry them out straight, then add a brass cartridge cap & a capped mirror screw to the bone end

hi mate. I have some kicking about. I live near Uckfield

If you are struggling get yourself along to your local pet supplies warehouse as they sell bits of antler as dogs chews. Making one now.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If it helps, I have made quite a few priests in recent weeks, to be used both for fishing and shooting.

Here's an example of what the finished articles look like:

I start by cutting the antler (usually a main beam of red or fallow) to size and sand both ends flat on a belt sander. In the photo above the top priest has wood on both ends of the antler, whereas the bottom priest only has it on one end.

At the business end of the priest I then drill out the core of the antler to a depth of about 8cm and fill with molten lead.

Following a tip from Notsharp, a member on this site, I've recently started treating the core of the antler (the trabecular, or spongy, bit in the middle) at the other end with Ronseal Wet Wood Hardener - this prevents it crumbling.

I then cut the blocks of wood to use as caps for each end. I like to use African ironwood or lignum vitae for the business end and walnut, amboyna burl, horn or something similar at the other end. That's because I don't want the business end to dent or split, whereas the non business end is more for show.

I drill a 4.1mm hole through each bit of wood. I also drill a 4.1mm hole of about 3cm depth into both the lead and the hardened porous end of the antler.

I then use two-part epoxy to glue a length of 4mm diameter brass rod through the hole in the wood blocks. The length is such that there's a 3cm piece of brass rod sticking out of the wood block. The blocks are then glued to each end of the antler. The brass rod helps to ensure the wooden caps stay on the priest.

Lots of time spent shaping, sanding and polishing. Depending on the antler beam I will sometimes lightly sand this down to ensure there are no sharp edges to the pearling.

Drill a hole through the non-business end of the priest and attach a leather thong, using an antler point as a toggle.

Give to hopefully happy recipient!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If it helps, I have made quite a few priests in recent weeks, to be used both for fishing and shooting.

Here's an example of what the finished articles look like:

I start by cutting the antler (usually a main beam of red or fallow) to size and sand both ends flat on a belt sander. In the photo above the top priest has wood on both ends of the antler, whereas the bottom priest only has it on one end.

At the business end of the priest I then drill out the core of the antler to a depth of about 8cm and fill with molten lead.

Following a tip from Notsharp, a member on this site, I've recently started treating the core of the antler (the trabecular, or spongy, bit in the middle) at the other end with Ronseal Wet Wood Hardener - this prevents it crumbling.

I then cut the blocks of wood to use as caps for each end. I like to use African ironwood or lignum vitae for the business end and walnut, amboyna burl, horn or something similar at the other end. That's because I don't want the business end to dent or split, whereas the non business end is more for show.

I drill a 4.1mm hole through each bit of wood. I also drill a 4.1mm hole of about 3cm depth into both the lead and the hardened porous end of the antler.

I then use two-part epoxy to glue a length of 4mm diameter brass rod through the hole in the wood blocks. The length is such that there's a 3cm piece of brass rod sticking out of the wood block. The blocks are then glued to each end of the antler. The brass rod helps to ensure the wooden caps stay on the priest.

Lots of time spent shaping, sanding and polishing. Depending on the antler beam I will sometimes lightly sand this down to ensure there are no sharp edges to the pearling.

Drill a hole through the non-business end of the priest and attach a leather thong, using an antler point as a toggle.

Give to hopefully happy recipient!

Brilliant!

Thank you very much!