Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: laser range finders and aircraft.....

laser range finders and aircraft.....

ok, so I know about not pointing lasers at aircraft etc as a distraction to the pilot and alike, but my question is this:

I am soon to be taking receipt of a new pair of leica range finder bins and on my stalking ground I am on the flight path for RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath.
    Very often US Air force planes and choppers come in low over my permission and in the past I would have thought nothing of having a closer look with the bins.

It got me thinking though, that if I were to rangefind said aircraft, presumably military craft especially would detect a laser (albeit an invisible one) and this could result in me having to answer some awkward questions from military police etc?

Anyone in the know got any thoughts? Clearly the easiest thing to do is just not do it, but the child in me would be wanting to know how high or far away the plane was.....?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

As Clint Eastwood said - "Do you feel lucky?" -- I won't add the other word!

Russian roulette springs to mind!

Ian

A short burst from a 30mm gatling should answer your query ---- if you survive that is .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

maybe i'll just try it on an F15....... whats the worst that could happen......

So do I get the impression that the collective thinks this may be a dangerous thing to do? And maybe best avoided?

Are they always on? Got the impression that it only emits when you press the button?

Apache's will pick up on a lrf getting used on them
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I'm pretty sure you won't be subject to missile attack, or cause anything to fall out of the sky..............I'd actually be impressed if they managed to give you a range on a moving target at any distance though. I wouldn't worry too much about it

Check this site for the current terror alert level...

Terrorist threat levels | MI5 - The Security Service

I think that most military aircraft are well provided with sensors and would have a light going off in the cockpit if you "pinged" them.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"