Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medical for firearms renewal

medical for firearms renewal

signed a letter to do the doctor report paid doctors fee got a phone call off doctors receptionist wanting the form for doctor to fill in i received no form in my renewal forms so got in touch with firearms dept told me medical council sends forms to doctors if they need to they could fone firearms dept or send a letter saying there was no issue,s foned doctor,s told me she would ask doctor if would be prepared to send letter and there was no way they were foning firearms dept and i would have to sort it what a waste of time

What doctor's report? There's just a bit in the FAC application where you give your GP's details. It's up to the police to contact the GP if they wish to. They don't have to, and the GP doesn't have to answer them either.

Incidentally, given that your keyboard is missing some keys, you can copy and paste these if you like:
    ¬`¦!"()_-{[]}:;'~,.?/

Also the police have to pay for any Medical reports they deem necessary not you

Durham Constabulary?

Must be this then: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-27306006

If the OP has volunteered to take part in this nonsense then he's only got himself to blame for wasting his own time and money.

Quite why anyone involved in shooting would want to provide the authorities with yet another stick to beat law-abiding FAC holders with, should the 'trial' prove to be a "positive" from a police point of view, is beyond me.
    Last edited by Orion; 06-11-2014 at 15:04.

only durham trying to cover their butt,s after those poor peeps were killed when they gave firearms back to someone with a history of gbh and domestic violence .sorry but shouldnt they admit their mistakes and not try n hide behind this illegal request to make u pay for their mistake

Perhaps that renowned shooter's organisation (Countryside Alliance) can get on the case.

Sadly this has been going on with Durham (and others) for over a year, BASC have been involved with some success but unless the police have serious concerns regarding a medical condition you don't need to get one.

It's a voluntary option, not that Durham make that particularly clear and have even put a Home Office logo on the form they have for applicants to download.

Short answer is don't agree to it, no matter how much they'd like you to there's no legal requirement for it under firearms law or the Home Office guidance.

Should they give you any trouble about it contact BASC, David Ilsley knows all about it and is a member both on here and the Pigeon Watch forum where this has been discussed at great length.

David Basc Profile/Contact Page

The Stalking Directory
    Last edited by phaedra; 06-11-2014 at 17:32.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

I think contacting Andy March (Hants Police ) chief of the Fire arms working group and the guy who issued the " IF you don't follow guidelines I want it in writing why"

would be best

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    Perhaps that renowned shooter's organisation (Countryside Alliance) can get on the case.
    I make you right.

I just had a look at the letter and form that applicants are receiving from Durham and I can see how it would be possible to bamboozle some into thinking it was now part of the application process. I also noted this little gem which I believe might actually constitute some coercion on the part of the police:

"Whilst it is not a legal requirement to complete this form or the medical questions trials form and the process is voluntary, completion may expidite the application."

Now, call me old fashioned, but how would taking part in the trial speed up an application? Or is it just a bluff/threat by them that not taking part might slow down the process.

I wonder if CA do know about this?

https://www.durham.police.uk/Informa...%202014%29.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    What doctor's report? There's just a bit in the FAC application where you give your GP's details. It's up to the police to contact the GP if they wish to. They don't have to, and the GP doesn't have to answer them either.

Incidentally, given that your keyboard is missing some keys, you can copy and paste these if you like:
    ¬`¦!"()_-{[]}:;'~,.?/
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)