Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gut hook knives

Gut hook knives

In the market for my first skinning knife and want to know if it is buying one with a gut hook? If so, which one would you recommend?

Personally I think they are a fad. I tried them and I hated them.

Learn the technique of opening the abdomen with a normal blade guided by your fingers.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Dont buy a Gerber, the one i have is made in China and the steel is rubbish, it wont hold a edge sharp enough to nick the skin to get the gut hook in!
    Get an EK swingblade

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Learn the technique of opening the abdomen with a normal blade guided by your fingers.
    Agree with this. I had a Case gut-hook type fixed blade and the thing kept on snagging when inside a beaast cutting around the diaphragm etc. More trouble than it was worth.

Best knife I've ever used, and still have, is a 4" Whitby wooden scaled folding 'penknife' with an additional blunt ended tripe blade and a small bone saw. Totally unhygenic in today's best practice world but will hold a razor edge and is really all you need to work right the way through a big red from field to freezer.

Don't do it! They knife ones end up getting stuck when you 'hock' the deer for hanging and the gape of the hook is not wide enough to cut deer skin properly.
    I do use a gut hook, but it is a seperate wide gape one which cuts well and is easy to sharpen. There are several small ones on the market such as this Gerber one:
    http://www.gerberknives.co/product/G...ry-E-Z-GutHook
    or:
    http://www.camofire.com/forum/huntin...zipit-gut-hook
    However, don't get the Gerber one with the removable Stanley knife blade as it is rubbish and a nightmare to keep clean.
    MS

Here you go, one in UK:
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/k...ook-9119-p.asp
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 06-11-2014 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    In the market for my first skinning knife and want to know if it is buying one with a gut hook? If so, which one would you recommend?
    Short answer. No.
    You don't skin a deer with a gut hook. Thumbs, knuckles and knife blade.

I have a Buck with a gut hook. Good knife and I do use the gut hook when skinning deer out to run up the insides of the hind legs but I don't use it for stalking as the tip is not pointy enough to bleed deer easily. To be honest I would not buy another gut hook knife.

Better off purchasing a £5 Italian made emergency seat belt cutter. As I did when having my Defender serviced at a backwoods Servicing Depot in deepest Kent.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

+ 1.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    i use a McMillan caping blade, it does the anal area with ease on the smallest of deer, where some blades fall down, unzips right through using the two finger lift when turned over it has a serrated spine that stops any slip when unzipping, internal work it's perfect, does the wee bits, atlas and leg joints easily, it's silly sharp and I have dressed many a Fallow, Roe and Muntie using it on its own.

it is perfect for starting off and splitting the leg skin prior to skinning, although tiny it is a good all rounder

And it stays sharp

its a razor sharp little knife with fantastic capabilities, it's on mcmillans website, have a look before you have a spend up