Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda Quad Mechanics?

Honda Quad Mechanics?

Looking for a bit of advice from someone with some quad maintenance experience. The model is a Honda TRX 500FM, it has been working fine, but periodically it wouldn't start on the button but made the buzzing noise you can hear in the video. Its been progressively worse, as in it starts less often, and now it really isn't starting.

Its not the battery as that does work, because it does still start periodically, I have changed the solenoid (which is where the noise comes from...and it vibrates) but again that hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any help appreciated, I would rather not pay anyone if I can fix it myself.

thanks in advance.

Jim
    Last edited by Daft Dog; 07-11-2014 at 18:38. Reason: typo

It sounds like an earth fault on the solenoid that's why it chatters it's not pulling in solidly

on the other hand that noise could be the starter motor spinning but the DOG on the end that engages with the flywheel isn't meshing with the flywheel i.e the dog is siezed

-check the earths on the solonoid

if you can remove the starter check to see if the dog gear runs along the end of the shaft at a guess it'd move maybe couple of inch out and sprung back

Obviously im just guessing really but i would be confident im not far off
    Last edited by Markfox; 07-11-2014 at 19:19.

Its the Brushes on the starter our farm mech changed them for me in the mean time happy pull starting
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 07-11-2014 at 19:48.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It's your battery.
    to check just jump a known good battery onto yours and see how it goes.
    Typical noise for a battery that's not got quite enough.
    Do check you earth from the engine block too. Solenoid will earth through engine block. Again to check this put jump lead from engine block to battery negative.
    i have changed brushes in Honda trx before but symptom was slow cranking not buzzing
    Last edited by teyhan1; 07-11-2014 at 19:44.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

£5 for help the heroes if it's not the brushes they wear down they have a good period and you think the problems gone away then bugger it wont start when you compare them to the new bushes you'll see what I mean it's a cheap fix

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

check this first , put jump leads off a car and see if it starts

Battery, but first check connections including all earths, make sure once running alternator is actually charging battery.

Neil.

+1 on battery. My dads was doing the same, thought he'd charged it up fully but turned out the charger was faulty and giving a false reading. New charger used gave full battery and fault disappeared.

Its defo not the battery, thought that first. Rigged it up to jump it and it didn't make any difference, still wouldn't start and got the same buzzing noise.

Will try and have a look at the starter brushes tomorrow when its light...when I work out where they are ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Dog View Post
    Its defo not the battery, thought that first. Rigged it up to jump it and it didn't make any difference, still wouldn't start and got the same buzzing noise.

Will try and have a look at the starter brushes tomorrow when its light...when I work out where they are ;-)
    Try giving the starter motor a sharp tap or two with the butt of a screwdriver, see if that unsticks the brushes, they may have become fouled.